Skip Welcome screen in WinME setup

chon_

Anyone know how to get rid of that annoying video that plays the first time you logon to Winme?

It runs just after de last reboot, but if you're installing something unattended at that stage it will interfere with it causing a lot of troubles, is there any registry entry to skip it?

TIA

• 1 year later...

If anyone knows this I would like to know as well as I'm trying to setup a unattended ME setup.

It's called Windows Millennium Edition Preview. It's path is %windir%\Application Data\Microsoft\INTRO\CONTENT.HTA.

I'm not exactly sure how to determine how to kill it or how it should be done.

Does anyone know if it's run in the same way that the Win98 Welcome screen is?

Any help on this is greatly appriciated.

I'm trying to setup a unattended ME setup.

Can you share all that info about unattended install with windows ME.

if you know about Batch, i mean using those .bat files, you can have this line:

ren windows\Applic~1\Microsoft\INTRO\CONTENT.HTA windows\~1\Microsoft\INTRO\CONTENT.txt

or have it in to the registry this way:

command ren windows\Applic~1\Microsoft\INTRO\CONTENT.HTA windows\~1\Microsoft\INTRO\CONTENT.txt

or

command.com ren windows\Applic~1\Microsoft\INTRO\CONTENT.HTA windows\~1\Microsoft\INTRO\CONTENT.txt

add it here:

it can be on HKEY_CURRENT_USERS\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

just remember to change windows with the right path

i dont know if there would be a popup saying file missing.

or if you want to try by yourself to know where that line is, try to go in safe mode before the last reboot and look at Start Menu - Programs - Startup

or you can go into registry editor:

open Run and type: Regedit

it can be on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

or

it can be on HKEY_CURRENT_USERS\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

there is a menú next to file, click the search option and type in to the box:

Microsoft\INTRO\CONTENT.HTA

or

CONTENT.HTA

if succesfull

get the string and try to put in to your unattended install to remove it, im honest, i don´t know how :blushing: well, i can´t remember but you can add it to the registry from the command line.

Have Phun!!!

Edited by Maxfutur

I wondered if you can bypass the setup routines after a reboot by entering safe mode or not. I'll give your suggestion a try. The way I would do it in 98 is to drop to dos and export the registry before and then after booting normal and try to find the difference. I'm also curious if anyone has ever written a tool similar to diff which is targeted specifically at registry changes/differences. I can include my msbatch.inf once I've finished and possibly by setup.bat I'm writing.

I'm also working to integrate critical updates and service packs as well as programs from windows update. My aim being a install that once done shows no updates from windowsupdate and has cleaner default settings.

I'm looking to set it all up in the end to be installable via samba or nfs from my linux server from a pxe boot anytime I need to wipe and install clean.

I'm looking to use free/gpl tools for much of the server side of stuff and script stuff where I have to. When I'm done I may post everything I had to put together my self to make it work with the other tools I use. I'm aware of the other patches and projects others have written and plan to play around with them once I finish my project. I'm not trying to duplicate effort so much as teach my self where ever I may be duplicating it.

• 2 weeks later...

The file is actually WINME.WMV, it's a 10 MB file in the win9x directory (ie in the 'necessary files', but it won't be played if it isn't found. Ponch's copy of ME prolly does not have WINME.WMV there.

The file is actually WINME.WMV, it's a 10 MB file in the win9x directory (ie in the 'necessary files', but it won't be played if it isn't found. Ponch's copy of ME prolly does not have WINME.WMV there.

my copy of WinME setup DOES have WINME.WMV but does NOT play ANY welcome movie at all after settting up WinME.

Ponch has a point, copy the WinME setup files onto the hard drive and then run ME setup from the HD.

BTW - my edition of ME is an OEM edition, neither a retail full nor retail upgrade edition of WinME - AND I performed a CUSTOM install of WinME

Edited by erpdude8