Asking for help with Installs

Nova

Hello everyone, I am new to MSFN and have been reading up as much as I possibly can. I am in process of making an XP Sp2 Unattended cd. So far so good. 2 problems remaining to be solved in the process. Both Spybot 1.3 and Symantec Antivirus 9.0 fail during runonce. I get the errors cant find file.... They are both in the same install directory as the four other programs I have installing at first logon. This leads me to believe my directory structure is correct. I am down to sheer ignorance :) Would someone kindly view my file and provide feedback? Thanks in advance to one and all.

cmdow @ /HID

@echo off

SET KEY=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

SET I=%SYSTEMDRIVE%\Install

REG ADD %KEY% /V TITLE /D "Installing Applications" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\002 /VE /D "DVD Decrypter 3.5.1.0" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\002 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\Install\DVDDecrypter\Setup.exe /S" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\003 /VE /D "DVD Shrink 3.2" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\003 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\Install\DVDShrink\Setup.exe /verysilent" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\004 /VE /D "Nero 6.6.0.1 Ultra" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\004 /V 1 /D "REGEDIT /S %systemdrive%\Install\Nero\register.reg" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\004 /V 2 /D "%systemdrive%\Install\Nero\nero6601.exe" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\005 /VE /D "Symantec" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\005 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\Install\Symantec AntiVirus.msi /S /v/qn" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\020 /VE /D "Spybot SD 1.3" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\020 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\Install\Spybot\spybotsd13.exe /VERYSILENT /NOCANCEL /TASKBARHIDE /AUTOCLOSE" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\007 /VE /D "WinRAR 3.40 Corporate Edition" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\007 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\Install\WinRAR\wrar340.exe /s /W" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\008 /VE /D "Importing Registry Tweaks" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\008 /V 1 /D "REGEDIT /S %systemdrive%\Install\RegTweaks.reg" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\009 /VE /D "Cleaning Up and Rebooting" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\009 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\Install\cleanup.cmd" /f

EXIT

Nova

I've no idea about whether the switches are correct, but Symantec Code is missing quotes and backslashes due to spaces in filename.

REG ADD %KEY%\005 /VE /D "Symantec" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\005 /V 1 /D "\"%systemdrive%\Install\Symantec AntiVirus.msi\" /S /v/qn" /f

Also since you have used 'SET I=%SYSTEMDRIVE%\Install' should your lines not replace %SYSTEMDRIVE%\Install with %I%, for example:

REG ADD %KEY%\002 /VE /D "DVD Decrypter 3.5.1.0" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\002 /V 1 /D "%I%\DVDDecrypter\Setup.exe /S" /f

Hello Nova,

Welcome to MSFN forums! :hello:

First, winrar does not need the "/W" switch (it doesn't do anything). Just the "/s" is enough.

For Symantec Anti-Virus, have you read this topic? link

About Spybot, I don't know, maybe someone else will come along who uses it. But I'd say there's no need to install that at all, if you are going to have your machine properly protected from the beginning with an anti-virus and firewall (and SP2, if its WinXP).

Do post back with how it works out. :thumbup

Thanks for teh rapid replies. More reading... Sheesh. :) I am atempting one last cd recreation and VM install before sleeping. Been up all night. Thanks again for the link and code suggestions. This forum rocks!

Regards,

Nova

REG ADD %KEY%\020 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\Install\Spybot\spybotsd13.exe /VERYSILENT /NOCANCEL /TASKBARHIDE /AUTOCLOSE" /f

Shouldn't it be numbered 6 instead of 20?

REG ADD %KEY%\006 /VE /D "Spybot SD 1.3" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\006 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\Install\Spybot\spybotsd13.exe /VERYSILENT /NOCANCEL /TASKBARHIDE /AUTOCLOSE" /f

@ Smiley

it really shouldnt matter so long as all of the numbers in the group are the same and no other group is using it.

@nova

You may have already done this, but I always test out the syntax of my installs at a command line prior to tossing it into runonceex and having that test it for the 1st time. This way you can play around with the syntax and find out exactly what works...

Since it is numbered 20 shouldn't it run after the cleanup, which I am assuming deletes the spybot install in the %systemdrive%\install folder.

Ha.. thats exactly right. I guess thats the other cirumstance where the order does matter... nice catch!

Shouldn't it be numbered 6 instead of 20?

REG ADD %KEY%\006 /VE /D "Spybot SD 1.3" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\006 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\Install\Spybot\spybotsd13.exe /VERYSILENT /NOCANCEL /TASKBARHIDE /AUTOCLOSE" /f

Smiley, thanks very much. Spybot now installs. I am still having some difficulties with Symantec. The install now triggers as I left out the proper directory in the command for install (Corrected). However I now get a pop up box saying that an option needs to be added to the msiexec. I am using the /q /p /n at teh end of the string. options. In other words the install still fails. I tired to get screen capture of the vm with the message. Heh, that didnt work either. I am much closer now thanks to you folks.

Best Regards,

Nova

Ahhh! Finally success has found me. Must be a mistake. lol :)

I found that using a "msi" file does not like to have a space in the name of the "msi" file name. Out of the box the installer for Symantec 9.0 CE is named

"Symantec Ativirus.msi. Simply deleting the space in the name was part of the answer. (I then chose a shorter name as I am a lousy typist (lazy). Then to use the proper syntax was also helpful. Hehehee. Last but not least this is what was used for silent install on my Unattended_Xp cd for my install of SAV,

REG ADD %KEY%\005 /VE /D "Sav" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\005 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\Install\Sav\sav9.msi /passive RUNLIVEUPDATE=0 REBOOT=REALLYSUPPRESS" /f

Thanks go to Prathapml, Smiley, Yzowl, and Durex for your guidance, speedy replies, enthusiasm, and finally the re-inforcement to complete the task at hand. I wish I had joined this forum sooner. Next project is to fill the little bit of space left on the cd (about 16 megs) and add additional reg tweaks. There are some settings for the desktop etc., I would like to integrate into the uA_CD.

Respectfully,

Nova

• 2 weeks later...
REG ADD %KEY%\007 /VE /D "WinRAR 3.40 Corporate Edition" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\007 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\Install\WinRAR\wrar340.exe /s /W" /f

ok just bout this, im used to installing Winrar 3.2, but have got this 3.4 version now that im gonna integrate.

Just wondering when i install it, it appears to go straight into teh directory of where teh setup file is.

THis will be an issue wont it???