Trying again!

couzin2000

I posted this message to another thread, and, although I'll admit it was very old, it was the only thread that had any reference to my problem. But, as its age seemed to outweigh the urgency of my problem, I was told to start a new thread and my question was, AGAIN, not answered. This is the 4th time I get turned away from solving my problem because of some technicality. I'm hoping someone will wanna give me the time of day and help me. I know I'm a newbie, but jeez, try and have a little more people skills sometimes.

Anyways... Sorry about the bump, back to the problem at hand now.

I have an MSI mobo that has built-in USB2.0. I need to use the latest VIA 4-in-1 driver (get them at http://www.viaarena.com/) so that all the ports will become USB2.0 instead of 1.0. These drivers are a self-contained install, so I need to find out how to incorporate them into my unattended install.

ALSO -- I need them installed BEFORE the Creative Extigy drivers I need to put in... which brings me to my next question: are these Extigy drivers installed the same way as an Audigy? Remember, the Extigy is an external USB2.0 sound card.

I have an idea of where I'm going by using the Winnt.sif file --

OEMPnPDriverPath="Drivers\000_via;Drivers\001_USB20;Drivers\002_extigy"

This should make one installed before the other. That's cool, but I need to also find out what files I need to install: There's a slew of folders in the extract that seem to be form ME, 2K, and XP. I don't wanna risk taking just the XP folders and dumping them there because I have a feeling that's gonna just jam down the "unattended" in "unattended installation". I also don't wanna leave anything out, since I'm not sure what is used. I looked up the VIA website, but no info on this.

If someone can point me in the right direction, or if there's a guide for them, I'll glady look it up. But the Google search I did got me only this thread, so I'm clueless so far.

Thanks for your attention and your forthcoming help!

Simply put, because I'm not sure HOW to do this. But I'm reading a very interesting post at http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=15036&st=10... seems like someone has a really cool driver pack ready to go for everything I actually need. I wonder if it's still available anywhere to download.

But getting back to the actual problem, my biggest issue is space. I don't wanna use up any unnecessary space in my XP cd, since I'd like to install more stuff later on. If there's any way to just have what I need for this install, that'd be really cool.

It uses an InstallShield install.  Why not just automate that?

indeed.

Instead of adding them to the OEMPnPDriversPath, just call the SETUP exe's for both pieces of hardware from CMDLINES.TXT. They're both most likely InstallShield setup routines.

Side note, I didn't see ANY inf drivers for USB2.0 in the 4in1 pack I downloaded.

Simply put, because I'm not sure HOW to do this. But I'm reading a very interesting post at http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=15036&st=10... seems like someone has a really cool driver pack ready to go for everything I actually need.  I wonder if it's still available anywhere to download.

They're now maintained by Bashrat. THere is a sticky at the top of thread. "DriverPacks"

They're both most likely InstallShield setup routines.
Indeed they are... I might just do it, but that means going back into the forums again for more info and learning. (Awww!)
Side note, I didn't see ANY inf drivers for USB2.0 in the 4in1 pack I downloaded.

Actually, good point. They're not in there, as far as I know. But I found a driver pack a while back, and it should do the trick. I don't even know if I can tell you where, cause it just says USB2k51. I guess it looks like Microsoft, cause the title is "Windows 2000 USB2.0 Supplement with CompatID". Try looking that up. Very lightweight pack, and those are what I'm using on XP.

Thanks for the info