not format, delete all files except user accounts

i have ran a quick search and cant find any info if this has been discussed before.

my install disk currently formats the main disk automatically and it occurred to me it would be handy if rather than formatting the disk it deleted all files except the c:\docs and settings\(user accounts) so that the bookmarks, desktop icons, address book, outlook express messages etc could be easily imported back into the new user account.

any ideas how to implement this?

I would recommend a format anyway, so you are sure that all the files from the old installation are gone. By the way, Windows will use a new folder if the folder already exists, so you don't want the Documents and Settings folder on your installation drive while Windows is installing anyway. I think the best way would be to copy your Documents and Settings to a temporary place (another disk), and then copy it back into your new account after installing Windows.

i normally just burn the user accounts off to cd b4 letting my unattended disk do its work. sometimes there isnt a cdrw or i dont have a spare disk knocking around so i was hoping for a quick and easy way of retaining the necessary files.

also if i lend the disk to one of my mates it means they can install without having to backup their files or really any computer knowledge.