PC Crashed and now will not boot.

DysfunktinaL

Hi. I have a Pentium 4 3.0 Prescott, on my Intel 865PERL board. 1 gig of Corsair DDR400 ram, duel channel. I am running Windows XP Pro SP2.

I was doing what I do everynight, music, games, e-mail and such, when my computer just shut off. No saveing settings, no warning, just boom. I turned it back on, and now I am unable to boot.

After I turn on the computer, before I see a video card load screen, I get 4 beeps from my case speaker, High-Low-High-Low, then a few seconds later it turns off again. I am not sure what exactly happened, as I did not download any programs recently. I did however have my computer in the DMZ on my router, but I do not think that this is the problem, since I have been on the DMZ for a few weeks now, and I havn't had any other problems.

Please let me know what you think.

Edit: After posting, I tore into my machine. I pulled out all memory, and cards, and got the same error. So I put them back. I tried booting again, and checked my temp with y fan controler and it reported normal/avg temp. I thought it may be an over heating problem, since each time I turned on my computer after the problem started, it would go longer without turning off. So I checked my CPU fan. turns out, the top left corner was loose, so I pulled off the fan, and found out that somehow the clasp had failed.

Not sure how to describe this, but when you put the fan on, it snaps into place. The place that the fan snaps on to had broken off completly, into 2 parts. I am not sure how to go about repairing this, as the part that broke seems to be mounted to the mobo. I can't really return the mobo from where I got it, because I used to be a GM for World of Warcraft for Blizzard, and I got some friends of an owner of a local Lan shop into closed beta, and he hooked me up with this board. I guess if I had to, I could ask him about it, but I would like to avoid that.

Should I just use super glue to fix this or what? Another note, I am not even sure if this is the problem, but I know it needs to be fixed either way.

Halp! =(

So I put it all back together, and left the side off my case, and held my fan up and in where it should be. I was able to get to my bios with no errors, and it told me my comp had been "shut down due to thermal events (overheating)". Seems to work fine, but when I boot now, it gives me the error mentioned above, and says "Unit should be serviced immediatly. Press F4 to Resume" After I hit resume, it just sits there for a while and says "Network selected as first boot device" I can't enter setup or anything to change that. X.x How should I go about fixing that part on the board? I don't want to run it till I get it fixed in case I fry my chip. And even if I wanted to run it, I can't get past the bios.

I don't think the chip is bad, since it acts normally otherwise. If I remember right, I set it to shut down after 75C. The problem with me esetting to factory settings, is my video card is PCI, and the default in BIOS is AGP. Any way around this? X.x Thanks for the help.

I am familiar with that board as i use it myself and it has a heat moniter that sets itself according to the cpu. Your chip should be fine and yes if you look at the schematic sheet that u got with your board (possible stuck to inside of case) it will tell u where the cmos reset jumper is. reset it and boot from hd. i would reccommend going to seagate.com and downloading their caldera dos hardware diag program (checks hd and ram) simply to rule those two out as a possible cause of the problem. I would then go to a pc shop and buy a replacement heatsink/fan mount (you can also get a replacement if the board mount is the problem costs about 15 canadian) replace them if the problem persistes pm me and i'll try to help you out some more.