Norton or McAfee?

What do you prefer for protection of viruses,hacking etc.  

89 members have voted

1. 1. What do you prefer for protection of viruses,hacking etc.

• Norton
    • McAfee

Norton misses a LOT of viruses.

Spoken like someone who has never used Norton... Why is Norton used on more than 60% of corporate machines? Because it works!

I disagree, I believe it's because the people responsible for making such descisions are not well informed enough and make descisions based on current trends.

Take this poll for example, had I been uninformed, I would think that Norton was the best thing since gmail (sliced bread does seem kinda old). But most AV comparisons illustrate McAffes superiority to Norton.

Take this poll for example, had I been uninformed, I would think that Norton was the best thing since gmail (sliced bread does seem kinda old). But most AV comparisons illustrate McAffes superiority to Norton.

Show me a credible source that proves this...

(From a Techs point of view)... :)

Most people have Dial-up, cause it's cheaper. All they do is surf the net - check there e-mail, etc..

Norton requires a connection to the internet to run Live Update. Most pople who have Dial-up don't really notice this/forget to connect to the internet every now and then to Update Norton. Norton gets "outdated". Client checks e-mail, browses the net for the while; User gets a virus without knowing...

With all my years as a Tech, Ive also have noticed that Users neglect/forget that Norton will Expire after 1 year from the date it was installed. People also tend to think that Norton will Raid your system free of Spyware/Ad-aware. Norton will get rid of 99.99% of viruses. Norton will Detect about 25% of Spyware/Ad-ware., and will detect about 50% of Trojans. But mainly Viruses. Macafee may have some better capabilities when it comes to Trojans, or Spyware/Ad-aware. But not Viruses. Just keep Norton Updated. I have a High speed Cable connection; Always on, so updates take place automatically).

Yes, Macafee also has a Live Update function. But Norton updates theirs faster and more frequently.

There are many other App's and programs that will take care of Spyware/Ad-ware - Trojans. Some are free some are not.

Here is a list of some programs I recommend... (Cleaning):

* AboutBuster v3.0

* Ad-Aware SE Pro v1.05

* AutoRuns v6.0

* Avast! Pro v4.5.549 (Run in safe mode)

* CWShredder v2.12

* HijackThis v1.98.2

* KazaaBeGone v1.01

* Process Explorer v8.35

* RegSupremePro v1.0.0.22

* Spybot - Search & Destroy v1.3

* Stinger v2.4.4

* Trojan Remover v6.3.4 (http://www.simplysup.com/)

* Window Washer v5.5

Here is a list of some programs I recommend... (Prevent):

* (Norton Corp v9) or..

* Norton 2004 - 2005 (Anti-Virus)

and...

* SpySweeper v3.5

* Ad-Aware SE Pro v1.05

Firewall:

* ZoneAlarm Security Suite Pro v5.5 (Turn Off the "Anti-Virus" feature)

* Recommended is to use a real Firewall with both SPI and DOS protection. (Netgear, Buffalo, Cisco.)

Hope this helps. (Make sure to boot into safe mode, and turn off any "System Restore" before proceeding with the cleaning.

Show me a credible source that proves this...

Let's start at home

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=35308

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=35145

Some excellent work done by 'Wai_Wai', links to a few reviews

A small demonstration;

Just got my hands on a small Norton detected file an uploaded to Yahoo (uses Norton 2005) as an email attachment, the file was detected so the upload was denied. Turns out the file was packed with UPX. Downloaded and ran 'upx -d infected.exe' then 'upx --best infected.exe' (recompressed). Uploaded again to Yahoo, undetected.

Very flawed demonstration, but the results are ridiculous. :}

just remember norton and norton (symantec) corporate are 2 different products here.

I dont recommend norton antivirus - for the home user/desktop at all - this was 2003 at the time, since then i havent.

I do though use Systemworks 2005 without the AV, just cause of its system maintenance i enjoy. Too bad it dont run on a server platform :(.

If u want do what i did and run all the mainstream ones, from norton, mcaffee, trend, kaspersky etc, and found that Panda Titanium was the only one that when i scanned my system to actually pick up a virus, so with that i tend to use panda titanium on my desktop. It probably wasnt a good method but since then panda has just whacked any virus that tried to come in or pop out of a file when i extracted..im happy with that atm.

I do use Symantec Corp on my 2003 server, but i am looking at alternatives...because my work has stopped advising ppl to use the symantec for servers, and go with Trend products - i havent tried the server version yet.

and both of these are behind a hardware nat/spi firewall in my router, plus commonsense while browsing the net helps stop unwanted stuff, plus using any virus scanner is better than using none. (/me remembers the nye when he had to format his entire system because he cbf using a virus scanner) :yes:

there is my opinion

Personally, I have used a few anti-viral software on the market; to name a few: Norton, Panda, AVG, TDS, and Mcafee. I use to be a BIG Mcafee skeptic, until after I used it.

They all have had pro's and con's but Mcafee has done wonders and usually picks up on new virus' before any of the other markets, other markets always seem to fall behind Mcafee.

Norton I really do not like as the program installs a lot of junk and has caused a lot of network issues and missed several virus' even in safe mode. Mcafee caught them and cleaned them.

As for firewalls, I would not recommend ZoneAlarm nor Nortons version. They are a hinderance to your system a false positive. if you are looking for software firewall either go with Mcafee or Sygate.

However, when I purchase my AV and firewall protection I usually go out for the enterprise product line. I have used home versions and never had a problem with them. Just seems to me now days all the added features are mostly marketing gimics to purchase there software. Cant really say they do not work... *cough* norton.

Personally I'm not a big fan of the whole Norton AntiVirus suite...I perfer the corp edition; Symantec AntiVirus (9.0)

me no likes mcafee too many issues i've had with them and the software itself. when i was working at the comp shop soooo many customers had the smallest and stupidest problem b/c of sum id*** at bestbuy or somthing told them mcafee RULES norton is going bankrupt.....lolz...i remember those customers...they were the best ones...always made my day better.

Personally I'm not a big fan of the whole Norton AntiVirus suite...I perfer the corp edition; Symantec AntiVirus (9.0)

me no likes mcafee too many issues i've had with them and the software itself. when i was working at the comp shop soooo many customers had the smallest and stupidest problem b/c of sum id*** at bestbuy or somthing told them mcafee RULES norton is going bankrupt.....lolz...i remember those customers...they were the best ones...always made my day better.

Same Here...I know actually what you are talking about! LOL.

I will say just like all software and hardware...

Mcafee has it's postive side.. works better in safe mode on some machinces - but I still don't use it, cause it just simply sucks. :P use Avast for scanning or some other...

Corp Edition v9 works best even for a home user. I still recommend it. Mcafee does have a so called "Advanced Scaning engine" that will pick up a virus before it comes out. It basically looks at the scripting code. However mostly Mcafee gives FASLE Postives because of it's scaning tech. Norton does not, and when it does not pick up a virus - its a really lame one that Ad-Aware picks up. :yes:

firewalls are best for businesses not home users unless your getting hacked then use one

IMO, you're better off with a firewall alone than an AV alone. If you're very perceptive you should be able to discover a virus by what it does, including send outgoing connection requests.

Hotmail uses trend now dont they...

as for firewalls im gonna try out this Linkbyte Contum 4.5. Its shareware though.

Ive seen it in action which is why i might give it a go its got detailed logging of everything, but i want to explore it further

ill get back to yas to see how it goes....

• 1 month later...

norton is a resource hog and has numerous memory leaks. mcafee is bloated almost as badly and has simplistic, ineffective heuristics.

nod32 is the most advanced and effective antivirus on the market. more 100% awards at the virus bulletin than any other AV product.

http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/

it uses 9 megs of ram on my win2k system, and picks up things that both norton and mcafee never have. it also "just works", unlike norton's tendency to bork outlook express and mcafee's constant need for input. i highly recommend nod32. check it out at http://www.nod32.com

• 3 months later...