Direct a domain to my computer

i was wondering if i put a webserver on my computer, is there a way to direct a domain name i bought to my computer?

Just a guess.... (edit: Just realized matrix0978 started and finished your reply while I was typing this novel :) ... hope this info helps you out though...)

If you have a router, whatever port the web server answers (usually port 80) needs to be directed to the private IP address of the web serving computer. (or you could use DMZ if that is available... it directs all ports).

As far as the internet is concerned...

If you have a static public IP address, you can usually change that with your domain registrar via a web site configuration page.

If you have a dynamic public IP address, you need to subscribe to a Dynamic DNS Service (DDNS). The free ones let you pick from a limited list of domain names and would replace the "www" with something of your choosing...

i.e. if MSFN offered the service, I could have "JoeMSFN.msfn.org".

Since it sounds like matrix0978 has his own, he'd have to pay for that service.

They make you pay, cuz you have a custom domain. You'd probably have to tell your domain name registrar to make your DDNS provider's name server authoritative for that domain.

This gets to the question.... with a dynamic IP, how does the DDNS get updated with my ever changing dynamic IP?

A computer on your network runs a client program that updates the DDNS with your public IP and 5 or so minutes later, your new public IP is on the net..... So if you visited JoeMSFN.msfn.org (not a real domain AFAIK) you'd always be directed to my new public IP. (and since I use a router, it would direct the incoming port 80 request to the webserver on my network).

Some routers are capable of doing this also (Netgear for sure..) however the list of DDNS providers supported are limited..

Netgear routers support (at least) http://www.dyndns.org/

another a friend told me about is http://www.no-ip.com/

Also do a search engine of your choice for "dynamic dns providers"

Well it has to do with who will respond with an IP when someone/thing does a lookup for your domain. If you have a Static IP, it's easy..... (typically a business, or a $$$ home connection). If you have a Dyamic IP (typically cable modem / PPPoE dsl/ or dial-up) then it's a little more involved (not hard... just a couple of extra steps).

Two ways to do it.

If you have a static IP, just use your registrars configuration web page (you'll be given a ID and password when you register your domain), and enter your public IP address.

Your registrar's name servers will handle all name to IP lookup requests.

If you have a dyamic IP, you have to tell your registrar (via configuration page) that you want someone else's name servers to handle the IP address lookup for your domain. (make someone else's servers "AUTHORITATIVE"). Then your DDNS providers name servers will handle all name to IP lookup requests.

An example from the FAQ of dyndns.org is this.

However you have to make sure your DDNS providers are updated with your current public IP. (via software or router discussed earlier).

Hope I cleared up something and didn't just repeat myself :wacko:

I've always been a little puzzled on this topic. The fact that I have to pay for a hostname would suggest that there's some sort of main internet DNS server out there. I'm not reffering to the DNS server at my ISP. What happens when I query my ISPs DNS for a host not in it's database. Does it query another DNS Server for the info? If so which server?

The most plausible situation I could come up with is that there is a ring of somewhat popular ISPs (or maybe only one) that 'sell' the internet to the world.

If I set up a DNS Server on my own PC, which company do I have to talk to about getting it recognised. Wouldn't I be able to add as many hostnames a I want, thereby creating my own variation of the internet (which is basically an intranet).

Sorry for the craziness, but these are questions (somewhat rhetorical) that have bothered me for quite a while, and if my analysis is correct, there should be a main dns server(s) out there.

What happens if these server(s) come under terrorist attack? :wacko:

simple solution

go2 dyndns.org get a address (ajshdjsa.serveftp.net)

buy a domain name and where it says redirect to type in your dyndns address

hence

someone types in

mydomain.com

which redirects them to

ajshdjsa.serveftp.net

which redirects them to your router

Linksys(192.168.1.1)

which forwards the request to your web server

If you got to linksys support and type in web server or ftp server they have a verrrry gooood detailed setup procedure.

If you still need help or are confused e-mail me or PM me mmerchant|asdfgh|@|NOSPAM|gmail.com

remove the stuff between the pipes (|) inclusive of the pipes.

• 7 months later...
I've always been a little puzzled on this topic. The fact that I have to pay for a hostname would suggest that there's some sort of main internet DNS server out there. I'm not reffering to the DNS server at my ISP. What happens when I query my ISPs DNS for a host not in it's database. Does it query another DNS Server for the info? If so which server?
Your ISP is not exactly "the internet". Your local ISP does the same thing we do, buy service from someone else - an NSP (Network Service Provider). Major US NSPs include MCI, Sprint, UUNET, AGIS, and BBN. Anyway, DNS is structured as a hierarchy similar to IP routing. No single DNS server hosts the entire DNS database. If a DNS server does not contain the name that is requested, it will be re-directed 'up' the hierarchy until a DNS server is found that can resolve the request.
The most plausible situation I could come up with is that there is a ring of somewhat popular ISPs (or maybe only one) that 'sell' the internet to the world.

This is where the NSPs come in.

Hehe, just realized how old this post was :D

Edited by special404

• 1 month later...

Domains, DNS, and DHCP...what a pain!

1. Buy a domain name from GoDaddy.com (Just an example)

2. Open a free account with ZoneEdit.com (Ditto)

3. ZoneEdit will tell you a few Name Servers to use (ns8.zoneedit.com)

4. Tell GoDaddy to use the servers ZoneEdit gave you for DNS.

5. Download any of the several freeware updating clients that support ZoneEdit.

6. Configure to your needs

7. Open port 80 in your router/firewall, pointing it to the computer running the web server.

That's it...you're done!

When you go to your domain name it will be configured to ask the ZoneEdit DNS servers for your servers IP address. The beauty of this config is that ZoneEdit allows for dynamic updates, so with a properly configured client (Step 5) you will almost always have the correct IP bound to your domain. I use DirectUpdate, which is awesome but not free.

And there are other services like ZoneEdit, but I've never been unhappy enough to try them. Same goes for GoDaddy...I know there are others, but it's really simple and cheap!

Also, doing it this way means you can use a normal domain, not some free sub-domain service. Much more professional this way...

And yes, I know how old this is...just wasting some time :thumbup

Edited by InTheWayBoy