PSP to launch this spring in the US

Xero_Cool

Sony officials said at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas that the game player will hit U.S. stores in March.

Sony executive Howard Stringer said the console will sell for less than $200.

Sony hopes U.S. demand will be strong for the black-and-silver console, which also plays music and movies. Stores in Japan sold out of the 200,000 PSPs they had in stock within hours of its debut Dec. 12.

Sony officials said the company shipped 510,000 units of the PSP in Japan as of Dec. 31, exceeding its 2004 target by 10,000.

Sony's PSP is being pitted against Japanese rival Nintendo's new DS portable game player. It sells for $150 and hit the the U.S. market Nov. 21, in time for the holiday shopping season.

"The price is such a bargain I don't think anyone is going to be put off," Stringer said of the PSP. "I don't think all the consumer electronics stores had a great Christmas.

"With this price point, the reaction will be the same as in Japan."

Sony, famous for its PlayStation and PlayStation2 consoles, trails Nintendo in the handheld game player market. In addition to DS, Nintendo makes the GameBoy line.

The PSP also is known as the PlayStation Portable.

Nintendo officials said last month the company expected to ship more than 2.8 million units of its dual-screen Nintendo DS console, which is strictly a gaming device with wireless capabilities, in the United States and Japan by the end of 2004.

News source: r0x0rz via GameShout

The PSP is amazing. The screen is huge, the controls are awesome (the analog control thing isn't like a stupid laptop stub, i can't explain it, but its just as good if not better than a joystick), MP3 support, movie (UMD disc) support, multiplayer via ad-hoc wifi, almost PS2 graphics, frame rate is awesome. My friend got a PSP and I was in shock when he played it.

I don't see why people like the DS so much. I played a couple of them, the graphics are horrible, the controls are awkward, the screen(s) is(are) tiny (yes there are two screen but one of them is usually just a map or something). The game selection is also horrible (the only one worth mentioning is Super Mario 64 DS), while PSP has games like Gran Turismo 4, Metal Gear Ac!d, dynasty warriors, Armored Core, etc.

I'm not a Nintendo hater. In fact, until PS2, I hated Sony. It's just Nintendo loses this time.

I want a PSP NOW.

Ever hear the story behind the Playstation? Nintendo approached Sony about creating a CD add-on to their N64 system. For one reason or another Nintendo axed the project when Sony was almost complete. Sony, having a lot of money into this item and nowhere for it to go, turned it into a stand alone system and released it as the Playstation. Too bad for Nintendo...

About the DS. It doesn't even have analog controls on it. They just took the gameboy and added a second screen.