Drain resources on Win98SE

Hi

I have a Win98SE ( 4.10.2222 ), P4 1.3GHz and 512RDRAM

Recently I install Win98SE, all updates and the Unofficial Win98 SE Service Pack.

But when I load some aplications ( in special "skinned" ones like BSPlayer, Imesh Light or Ad-Aware SE ), Win98 lost their resources fast, first a graphics glitches appears and later all sytem collapses.

Exist a solution for this problem?

Thanks

did you try http://www.mdgx.com ??? i know there are some tweaks that can help with more resources but ultimately if your worried about resources goto xp or 2000

i use programs like that but i have lotsa tweaks applied and the lowest i've gone is 33% resources and thats running lotsa apps,did you apply ie 6 and newest directx? also the win9x line is plaqued by resource problems,you can do what you can but ultimately theres not much you can do about the resource problem,xp,2000 are immune to this problem sorry to say.sides your specs you could run xp nicely if you got one lying around

did you try http://www.mdgx.com ??? i know there are some tweaks that can help with more resources but ultimately if your worried about resources goto xp or 2000

i use programs like that but i have lotsa tweaks applied and the lowest i've gone is 33% resources and thats running lotsa apps,did you apply ie 6 and newest directx? also the win9x line is plaqued by resource problems,you can do what you can but ultimately theres not much you can do about the resource problem,xp,2000 are immune to this problem sorry to say.sides your specs you could run xp nicely if you got one lying around

Yea, MDGX is my favorite site for tweak my Win9x ,2K & XP.

Now I reading their article: KILLER REPLACEMENTS

But I don't know how much this replacement can help to solve some "endemic" Win98 problems or gain of perfomance.

Thanks

alot of those registry tweaks can help and before i tried to msg u but it said no such member existed

for the new user and uer32.dll u need to goto dos mode,personaly i've found it helpful only if you got another os

also use 98lite if you got it as it will remove so useless win 98 fluff,also use the shell swap for chubby,the active destop and web view r resource hogs

alot of those registry tweaks can help and before i tried to msg u but it said no such member existed

for the new user and uer32.dll u need to goto dos mode,personaly i've found it helpful only if you got another os

also use 98lite if you got it as it will remove so useless win 98 fluff,also use the shell swap for chubby,the active destop and web view r resource hogs

on a system reboot, u should have roughly 88-92% free in system resources under 98se. thats even with active desktop enabled.

i have major resource probs with my laptop (compaq lte 5300) if i use the service pack on it. mine runs out of resources to even be able to shut itself down.

with mine i have around 82%on startup,the lowest i've gone is 33%

i did have one occassion on 1 98 se pc that it ran outta resources but it ran but pretty slowly

my compaq 1235 has higher resources than the 98 se desktop but the desktop runs more apps than the laptop does

maybe try going past 512 n you may see a difference

i could b wrong, but i always thought that 'system resources' reffered to conventional memory, rather than RAM. PC's have 640kb of conventional memory. so it wouldnt matter how much RAM you add.

98lite is great

allows you to remove stuff even ie if you want,and the old media player 6.4 and install the new mp 9 without the old player n stuff

u know what would b a good poll? how many ppl on this board use non-pirated versions of 98lite...

what makes you think it's pirated?it could be legal...a poll for 98lite would proove nothing,it seems you got a problem with 98lite or might have a problem with it

what makes me think it is pirated is the way ppl on this board endorse that product. as well as other products on this board. it gets to me when ppl just say "o..wel go to office 2000". not everyone goes out n buys software that costs $300~ AUD when they dnt intend on using it for 5 years...

and thats kinf of stupid to say that a poll would prove nothing. afterall, its polling to see hw many ppl use the legit version. thats proving something. geez....lol...

with the hostility towards me which u displayed in that post, makes me wonder if it is legit lol. i personally couldnt giv a **** whether u use pirated software or not, i dont know you, n it wouldnt be my a** that fries if you get caught. so dont go making a big thing about this. was only a thought.

i have no prob with 98lite...especially as its an australian product :P. some processes done by 98lite in previous versions have been sloppy, but the creators have corrected it in the later versions.

anyways...back on topic or things will get 'boring'

• 2 weeks later...

You've likely gotten most of this, but in case something slipped thru the cracks....

I'd also install Xteq, mentioned by MDGx, and spend a day enabling / making sure you haven't missed something.

Bios optimized settings enabled? Look at everything, processor cache, usb support, etc.

Hardware--computer heating up after a while? Maybe an issue w/ some usb peripheral, underwhelmed PSU, hard disk acting up...

Do you have things enabled like DMA, 32-bit disk access, asynchronous mode transfer(careful, your hardware MUST support these, or you can totally trash all your software & possibly even hardware. )emmexclude, defragged/aligned, etc.?

Looked at all settings re computer role, various caching settings: icon/path/file, write behind, disk cache, virtual mem, swap sizes??

You've cleared systray & startup of all unnecessary hogs? Depending on which apps you use frequently, you may not need the following background processes:

auto play &

auto detect removable drives(cd, floppy, etc.)

burning apps

ocr &

scanner apps

ms Office Start

printer control program

photo software

audio settings apps

auto-sync / update apps, including windows update

I use PCForrest Startman 1.3.96 to help in this area. Here's an example of how i've disabled more than half the stuff with it: startman.gif

i'd install wintop from your win98 cd's resource kit or ms power toys-- or even more comprehensive, Sysinternals Process Explorer & other helpful troubleshoot apps to see what's using up resources... maybe something in the local network or web connection(multiple different connections going). Any Norton Doctor AV or other such apps-- esp. real-time file protection, protected recycle bin & mail scanning can really take over...

Enable faultlog.txt in TweakUI, view it with BootLogAnalyzer for clues: http://www.woundedmoon.org/win32/bootloganalyzer123.html

SystemFaultAnalyzer is even more comprehensive.

Even if you've gotten all spyware out-- do a Find for net*.vxd.. there's a planted spyware file called netut80ex.vxd in your %System folder, which most spycleaners miss-- and causes different malware to keep coming back.

Using JV16, etc. peruse all installed apps one by one...

Post any logs here from any previously named utilities, hijackthis even: other pairs of eyes may catch something missed.

Good Luck