multi disc?

ok everyone i knwo this has been covered somewhere on this site but i cant seem to find my answer... so please bare with me....

i now have gotten a total of 6.67GB in applications i want to install.. now obvisously that will not work on a single dvd so i need to split it into two discs......

i am also now going to be runnign my WPI and application installs of the disc instead of being copied to th HD.... so my question is how would i make WPI work so that when an applciation isnt ont he first disc it woudl prompt for the second?????

Hi!

I do also have that problem, only 50mb left on my DVD. You could buy a 9GB dual layer DVD, but It costs a lot.

Or why not make two dvds with WPI on each?

If you run the install and the program can't find the correct file-path an error message comes ut, right? If this message could be (instead of "ok") try again and quit...

Then It would be possible to have the install-program to ask for the correct DVD. It is not perfect but It is a solution..

I used to use 2 CD's because I didn't have a DVD burner and came up with the following solutions, which could be used for DVD's as well.

I made a small batch file, in which I ask the user to switch CD's and after pressing a key it starts the WPI wizard on the new CD.

By entering it into the first WPI and setting it to Force and giving it an Order of 999 it gets executed after installing everything relevant on the first CD.

And by setting a condition on all installs to check if the install file is present, I can use one big config file for both WPI instances.

(I have some plans to change the batch file to a nice looking exe, but due to something called real life haven't gotten around to it yet)

Nazgul

Can you please post your batch fiel source code for us to use???? your idea soudns good and woudl at least be a startign point for us.....

but one question??? if you ahve WPI on both discs does that mean you ahve to be monitoring the install when it gets to the second disc so you can choose your programs??? or is done on one screen?

It's not much, but this is the source of the batch file as requested:

@echo off
cls
echo "Please insert CD 2 and press any key to continue.
pause
start %cdrom%\wpi\WPI.cmd

@buzzman2005: You have to choose what to install when you switch discs, but because you have to switch discs, you already have to monitor your install.

@ankap: I'll take a look at that CD changer. It sounds promising.

• 7 months later...

This is an old post, but I'm going through the posts beginning at the end, and I've found a solution for this: an AutoHotKey script:

IfExist, %A_ScriptDir%\CD1.txt
{
Drive, Eject, %A_ScriptDir%
       MsgBox,, CD Change, Place CD2 so WPI can continue installing.,
}
Sleep, 500
IfExist, %A_ScriptDir%\CD2.txt
MsgBox,, CD Continue, CD2 is in place and WPI will continue.,2

This script checks if there's a CD1.txt in the same directory (cd-rom), if there is one, it will eject CD1 and wait 'till you place CD2 with the CD2.txt file on it.

You put your entire WPI on one cd, then, on the next, you put just other programs. It works like a charm, you only have to make sure this script is ran after all the programs of the first cd have been installed...and you can adapt this script to work with the second and every other cd...

post-67195-1125328840_thumb.jpg