Driver Compressor

Acheron

Hello,

When I use Driver Compressor (NSIS version, thanks Roufneck and hp38guser for putting time in this project) with the latest BTS Drivers Packs, I get a lot of warnings at the first stage of the process (Warning! Cannot find [file]). Is it normal? Will the compressed drivers work anyways?

I only check the [copy catalog] option before proceeding.

Keep the good work!

Yes, this is normal. In the BTS Drivers Packs there are a lot of .inf files which contains links to other windows drivers (like w2k, 98 and me). These drivers are already ripped out to save space. I tried several detections for this but I didn't get it working.

However I could make a option to skip .com, .sys, .dos and .vxd files. I believe these files have nothing to do with windows xp (I think).

btw, compressing Realtek HD Audios took 42 minutes and copied 450MB, compress size was 150MB :wacko:

This is probably because you used the "Provider Disk Structure". This options copies every inf file to a different directory. Realtek uses the same drivers in every inf file. So you end up with 14 directories containing the same drivers. The same is happening with the VIA Vinyl sound drivers.

• 2 weeks later...

Great tool hp38guser!

I got it to work on all my drivers except "nvidia nforce 5.11 international whql"

now i have this question:

it filters unnecessary files and puts the remaining files in a subdir

and puts an underscore at the end of the extension like: *.dl_

someone in this thread said that the underscore means the file is cabbed.

is this true? and is it possible for me to put all files except the *.inf , in a

*.cab file? (I use CABpack.exe)

:)

Great tool hp38guser!

I got it to work on all my drivers except "nvidia nforce 5.11 international whql"

now i have this question:

it filters unnecessary files and puts the remaining files in a subdir

and puts an underscore at the end of the extension like: *.dl_

someone in this thread said that the underscore means the file is cabbed.

is this true? and is it possible for me to put all files except the *.inf , in a

*.cab file? (I use CABpack.exe)

:)

The files with an underscore at the end are compressed Cab files. When you manually compress all files except inf in a cab-file, you have the problem some Driver Setups cannot succeed or won't install properly. You have to test this out manually for drivers that Driver Compressor currently can't handle.

• 3 weeks later...
I had some problems with this programm and couldn't change it to a working batch file. I was doing a project in NSIS, so I decided to try this in NSIS. Here is my result. Anyone cares to try this?

DrvComp version 2006.03.07

Features:

- Driver compression: This works only on drivers with .inf files!

- Multi directory / multi inf files

- Recompression cab files

- Driver version check

- Class/Provider dir structure creation

Changelog:

2006.03.07 Disabled warning message for missing .com, .sys, .dos and .vxd files.

2006.03.06 Fixed error with files extensions less than 3 characters (ATI).

Nice tool, only it goes into a endless loop when you put the destination dir in the same location as the source dir. A cancel button would be nice ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

thanks, im trying to use it in a script to run on all dir /b /ad

how will i make it create a new separate dir based on the current!

on to a completely new set ..

read c:\drivers\ > d:\new_compressed\

Edited by sweept