Driver Compressor

Acheron

Ghost82, what do you think this flag nl.gif under my username means  ;)

Fixed this stupid thing now. The error happened when no catalogfile was found.

:lol:

I know, but I just wanted to get it clear for the others. ;)

Ghost82, what do you think this flag nl.gif under my username means  ;)

Fixed this stupid thing now. The error happened when no catalogfile was found.

:lol:

I know, but I just wanted to get it clear for the others. ;)

was niet lullig bedoelt ;)

ok thanks, but i think i got another problem

the 71.50s had some temp reading error so i decided to go back to 66.93,

instead of using the EXE i decided to test out the compressed ones using your tool, install went fine but since then people have recomended 71.20's so I have tried to uninstall the 66.93's but if i try device manager uninstall it says

"Error: failed to uninstall the device, the system may need it to boot"

And if i try via add/remove programes it says

"It appears the nvidea drivers have already been uninstalled, remove from the list?"

but i have nforce drivers which come under that catagory so in no circumstances unless i removed all chipset drivers too should this happen.

Thoughts?

Mekrel, since you used the compressed nVidia drivers no additional system files are created. Therefore you don't need to go to the Software Configuration Panel to remove the drivers. Go to Device Manager, select your videocard and choose to uninstall the driver.

If you are just changing drivers in Windows you can select to update your driver in Device Manager and point the wizard to the location of the newly compressed driver.

I recommend everyone using my tool to first test the compressed driver this way before appending it to your unattended cd, so you don't get stuck.

Mekrel, since you used the compressed nVidia drivers no additional system files are created. Therefore you don't need to go to the Software Configuration Panel to remove the drivers. Go to Device Manager, select your videocard and choose to uninstall the driver.

If you are just changing drivers in Windows you can select to update your driver in Device Manager and point the wizard to the location of the newly compressed driver.

I recommend everyone using my tool to first test the compressed driver this way before appending it to your unattended cd, so you don't get stuck.

Sorry my post states i did things the other way but i did infact try device manager first, then tried add/remove programes. The only reason i dont update is i like to run driver cleaner after uninstalling drivers but this isnt too much of a problem because like you said you can update via device manager without uninstalling the old ones first.

Hi Bâshrat the Sneaky

[quote}@Bâshrat the Sneaky

I will definetely use cab compression for the winnt.sif method from now!

Do you have any indication as to how much CD space this method might save? :)

Do you intend to use this in the next release of your Driver Packs or will you re-release the current ones shortly using this method?

Kind Regards

Simon

Bashrat, happy birthday to you :hello:

Updated the Driver Compressor Tool with a new feature regarding to http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=36827:

The subdir is now called as the Provider specified in the inf, so for unattended cd's you don't have to specify the full path anymore. I'm testing this now.

I'll see if I can work this out a bit more. If you want the old release you can mail me.

Nice new feature (provider instead of inf filename) :thumbup

I haven't solved my problem with:

Intel® 865G, 865GV and 855GM chipsets featuring the newly enhanced Intel® Extreme Graphics 2.

FTP download ver #14.9 for 2K and XP

contains one Class Installer INF File

Class=Display

for installation of driver and a lot of class-specific "friendly name" INF File

Class=DisplayCodec

or

Class=IntelUnifiedDisplayDriver

that are required by the Class Installer INF File.

compress.cmd parse Class Installer INF File and class-specific "friendly name" INF File. Only the main Class Installer INF File need to be checked to build the compressed dir.

You can identify class-specific "friendly name" INF File by searching if exist a ClassInstall32 section

All details come from INF File Sections and Directives @MSDN library.

Bashrat, happy birthday to you :hello:

Updated the Driver Compressor Tool with a new feature regarding to http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=36827:

The subdir is now called as the Provider specified in the inf, so for unattended cd's you don't have to specify the full path anymore. I'm testing this now.

I'll see if I can work this out a bit more. If you want the old release you can mail me.

This new feature doesn't seem to work with multiple inf files (it states that the directory allready exists) I tested with the Creative Labs SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS WDM drivers...

I reverted the changes, setting the Manfucturer as the drivers dir has no effect on the detection of drivers during Windows Setup.

For all you people having difficulties to get the right driver files, you can try to back-up your installed drivers with DriverGuide Toolkit or similar software.

After that you can compress the files for use on your unattended cd.

Nice little program! I haven't reinstalled with all my drivers compressed yet, but for the USB-UIRT driver found at:

http://www.usbuirt.com/support.htm

the .inf file also gets compressed...

Regarding the various software to backup existing drivers, your script does not seem to be compatible with the way Double Driver creates the .inf... Or maybe I just got unlucky with mine, all I get in the sub-folders are the .inf files, the actual .sys files or such are not touched at all.