MS AntiSpyware & MS Agent users beware!

I tried MS AntiSpyware tool today and I would like to point out this:

I have Microsoft Agent installed and MS AntiSpyware recognizes Microsoft's own Agent install of L&H TruVoice TTS engine "tv_enua.exe" as "WhenU.SaveNow" Adware.

Infected files detected
C:\WINDOWS\lhsp\tv\tvenuax.dll

Infected registry keys/values detected
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{B8F2846E-CE36-11D0-AC83-00C04FD97575}

Just so you know and don't go deleting that file...

It's only been a month since MS acquired GIANT. I tried the program before MS bought it and was amazed at the amount of false positives. It's no surprise this is still happening in MS' first public beta... sadly.

Down the road this may become a very useful and workable application but for now I don't see it as trustworthy or really of any use. Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware SE Plus are more than enough and they are far far more accurate.

I do hope that MS turns this into a must-have application but I really don't think they will.

rotjong

Also, interestingly enough EVERYTHING with regard to Patchou's Messenger Plus! is regarded as Ad-ware. EVERY file (yes, even the language .ini files and developers.txt) ALL registry keys are detected as an Adware bundler. I do NOT have the sponser option installed.

I know technically speaking MS is right in saying it is a spyware "bundler", and although it is ignored by default, it is marked as High Threat (in red!) and seems to me as an attempt to scare people out of using Messenger Plus! Another case of MS strategy to "nag" the users out of Messenger Plus!???

I also tried this out today, wasn't too pleased with the spyware results it bought up. i.e. Flashget as spyware when it clearly wasn't when registered, it just bluntly labelled every single file in the Flashget directory as spyware.

Yes... and after I've scanned my PC and tell it to ALLWAYS IGNORE the (only) two hits it just found (Messenger Plus! and L&H Text-To-Speech engine), it still wants to close all Internet Explorer windows, warning that it can't clean correctly if there are open browser windows...

...But I just told it not to clean anything, and always ignore it! :(

I'll just finish this post and alow it to close all windows; see what happens.

Edit: Files are still there :)

I was already using Giant and loved it. Now MS has the muscle to maintain it with updates. They need to make it free, just like an antivirus should be delivered with the OS free. Why should users be burdened with buying all this add-on stuff that is needed on every machine. It's like buying a car, then figuring out what safety systems to add on.

BTW Messenger Plus caused me all kinds of grief because they used to install hijackers by default. I was one of those unwary, trusting fools that didn't read the small print. They have cleaned up their act now, but I think it serves them right. They are still a risk.