XP Boot Problem

WildKat

I have been having some problems with my boot up. I was using the PC as normal, didnt install/uninstall anything at all for weeks but all of a sudden it said new hardware found "PCI simple communications" which I think is my 56k PCI modem. This device worked fine before with default XP drivers but now XP cannot find the drivers (not that I need it).

I cancelled the setup which comes on everytime I boot into windows.

However my computer no longer boots correctly, 70% of the time it will freeze after the memory test screen. I then disabled the device in device manager, which has stopped it from coming up everytime windows loads but am still having the boot up problem.

I decided to reflash my BIOS which had no effect. I changed to fail-safe defaults and now the computer boots 100% however it takes ages. Even before the memory test screen, the computer is blank for about 1 minute when power is switch on. Then again it goes blank before the "loading Windows XP" screen. So now it takes about 4-5minutes to boot into windows and my BIOS settings are all minimised.

It sounds like a device conflict or something, but I dont know what caused it or how to remedy it.

:huh:

u could try & make sure "Power On Self Test (POST)" is set to enabled in bios, this will greatly improve startup time

also, if u think its a device conflict, check the irq conflicts or u can also try removing pci devices & disabling unused ports via bios

Did you just upgrade to SP2?

I've seen several compatibility issues with modems after upgrading to SP2

The computer just started doing screwy things, but was fine after the modem was pulled

Theres no option for POST in Bios, I think its default on anyway, I get the one beep but it just takes forever.

@Soulin: that link seems to be broken and theres no minidump as there hasnt been any crashes/reboots.

Also SP2 was slipstreamed when I formatted & reinstalled a few months back but the modem was recognised as it should.

Im not sure how to check for conflicts, but I still dont know why this problem has appeared from nowhere. Like I said, nothing has been installed/uninstalled for at least a month.

Tried that, everthing seems to be okay.

If only I could take out the modem, but I cant because opening the PC case would mean a whole lot of furniture hassle which I cant deal with.

Can a component just go wrong by itself and cause boot issues or is the problem elsewhere?