Version 3.3 - Themes

Hi.

Just uploaded Version 3.3.4

IMPORTANT: The startup has been changed heavily. Look at wpi.cmd. You should not call wpi.hta directly anymore. WPI startup shall be done by using the .cmd file or common/wpi.wsf. This is for installing any theme supplied fonts.

Other changes: see WPI homepage.

Hasi,

I get this error when running wpi.cmd

'cmdow' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

operable program or batch file.

And I see this screenshot

nodisk.gif

When I click continue it does same error for drive F

My system is C and D are Windows XP, E Combo DVD/CDRW and F is DVD both are empty and do not have a cd in them.

For those of us not needing or wanting to use themes, do we still need to run the wpi.cmd?

Dennis

Thanks for the link, I did have access to that file but pointed it out because this means everyone running wpi now would need to download that file. It would be ideal to either include it with wpi or not use it since we want this to run on any default xp install.

Besides putting the cmdow in system32 only fixes the first problem of it saying the program is not recongized. The screenshot problem still happens. It gives me the error for drive E and F even with cmdow working. Both E and F are just empty cdrom drives.

I am a little concerned and this is just my opinion, but I see this happen to may awesome programs, with adding too many things outside of the purpose of the program, that cause it to bloat, slow down or have issues. I do see that many would like the themes and pretty fonts, backgrounds etc, but that comes at a cost to size, speed and potential issues. I would love a WPI lite version that sticks only to making it work, with no theme support and need to have .cmd files run other files that finally launch the .hta file. But let me also say I love this program and am grateful for all the hard work Hasi has put into this. He has put many hours of back and forth fixing bugs, and is so quick and responsive getting back to us. So this is only my opinion.

Dennis

@dlevens:

I totally agree. I am wary of every new change (not bugfix related).

However, I always ask hasi, and so far he has complied, to allow for the 'basic' WPI to remain.

You dont have to use themes, the default settings are still in there.

You dont have to use the wizards, the js files are always editable.

Does anybody else have dlevens problem:nodisk.gif

I can't recreate it on any of my 2 machines. I use the following drive letters:

C (HDD), D(HDD), E(HDD), Y(virtual CD,empty), Z(DVD, empty)

The place I test WPI from is 'D:\Unattended\Source\$OEM$\$1\Install\wpi', but wherever I move the folder - I do not get this error message.

As for the question

For those of us not needing or wanting to use themes, do we still need to run the wpi.cmd?

No. You'd have no need for WPI.cmd if you DO NOT USE theses. But as I code and use it, there could be a point, where I insert more code into the .wsf file to start WPI. So using the cmd would be the appropriate way.

@dlevens: please try one thing: delete the line saying 'for %%i in (C D E F....' and try again. Does the problem persist ?

Hi.

Just uploaded Version 3.3.4

IMPORTANT: The startup has been changed heavily. Look at wpi.cmd. You should not call wpi.hta directly anymore. WPI startup shall be done by using the .cmd file or common/wpi.wsf. This is for installing any theme supplied fonts.

Other changes: see WPI homepage.

Remember when you said you didn't even want to include wpi.cmd, and wpi.reg?

Now you've included an additional file??

(what exactly is a wsf file, anyway?)

Don't you think this is going a bit further than the intended use of the program? I mean, how important is a font to a theme anyway? Use default fonts, or if it bothers you that much, use graphics instead...

I'm not so sure I'm willing to make this upgrade.

PS - as for everyone complaining about the CMDOW, just have it REM by default, and those of us who want it can uncomment it.

PPS - it's "script" not "skript" ;) (WPI.cmd, line 3)

[edit]

after re-reading my post it sounds a little mean/harsh. i do not intend it that way, i am just saying it seems like a long way around just to get a font installed. Sorry for the wording! :P

Edited by a06lp

PPS - it's "script" not "skript"
and I'm austrian and there it's skript. I could also write command file or batch job. I think everyone would understand.

As I see so many complaints about all the things with fonts, themes and startup I'll take it out of WPI. Versions 3.3.x are now offline while I remodel 3.2.3 to use the additional option to keep categories together.

[EDIT]

@a06 - BTW: didn't you ask for the pics sources and take them to make this ?

[/EDIT]

Edited by hasi001

@ hasi

themes are fun, but I haven't seen anyone make one but you..... Perhaps a

tutorial or something like that, then again I'm happy changing the background

pic and some colored fonts? Who knows? Your time spent on this does not go

unnoticed....thanks

BD

PPS - it's "script" not "skript"
and I'm austrian and there it's skript. I could also write command file or batch job. I think everyone would understand.

As I see so many complaints about all the things with fonts, themes and startup I'll take it out of WPI. Versions 3.3.x are now offline while I remodel 3.2.3 to use the additional option to keep categories together.

[EDIT]

@a06 - BTW: didn't you ask for the pics sources and take them to make this ?

[/EDIT]

Please don't remove themes :no::w00t: I love the themes and your viao theme is superb :thumbup !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only things I have ever said were about bugs and or ideas.

Don't listen to those people who just want to pi$$ and moan. They will never be satisfied anyways. :realmad:

nonononononono! :no:

please don't misunderstand!

No one had problems with themes - that was an EXCELLENT addition to WPI.

I was just saying the whole 'install your own font' thing was unneccesary.

But I LOVE the theme idea, don't remove it. Just the new font.

PS - the skript thing was a joke, don't take it personally.