nForce 2 Ultra Questions

DKRendeR

Are the nForce IDE drivers made to replace the ones that come with XP? Say... if I removed the IDE drivers from my XP disc using nLite, would all my drives (CD, HDD) still work OK?

[slightly off-topic]

XP doesn't recognize the capture features of my GeForce 5900XT automatically. If I put the drivers on the disc and specify the folder in OEMPnPDriversPath, will they get installed automatically?

[/slightly off-topic]

EDIT: Oh, and is it safe to delete all the files in the root directory of the nForce Driver folder:

data1.cab

data1.hdr

data2.cab

engine32.cab

etc... ??

I'm gonna install the drivers using OEMPnPDriversPath

I have an nForce2 as well.

1. No, don't remove the native IDE drivers. In fact, don't remove any drivers that come with XP at all. That's your safest bet that everything will work fine. As for why not remove IDE drivers using nLite when you will integrate the nForce drivers... the reason is that nForce drivers are simply an add-on. It requires the base drivers to be present, beneath itself.

2. About the 5900XT, yes, it will get installed automatically. Just ensure you have followed what is set out here - http://unattended.msfn.org/xp/drivers.htm

is it safe to delete all the files in the root directory of the nForce Driver folder:

data1.cab

data1.hdr

data2.cab

engine32.cab

etc... ??

I'm gonna install the drivers using OEMPnPDriversPath

Yes, its perfectly safe, doing so will gain you about 4 MB or so. Just ensure that you are deleting files related to setup, and not any of the actual driver files.

And how can you ensure that?

Do a clean install of the OS. Then, in device manager you see all the detected hardware that have no drivers... Direct it to "reinstall driver" from the appropriate folder in your nForce driver folder. By doing the "search for driver" manually, you are basically doing the same thing that OEMpnpDriversPath method does.

[now that the setup files are gone, see if during the above driver install, any files are reported as missing. If all the devices install fine when you select the INF, and no errors occur, you can conclude that you're perfectly set for OEMpnpDriversPath].