Instant On PC ?

DTM.inc

I have a Dell Inspiron 8500 laptop and i would like to make an 'Instant on' media player. Can this be done? Is there an OS out there that i can configure a dual boot PC that will boot into a media player, mainly just to listen to my music?

you mean like want to where you start the computer and it says "Microsoft Windows" then below that "Media Player" I don't think this is possible unless you use like a DOS Media Player which would be really ugly. I say just start the computer up all the way then start your normal media player.

I think that what he wants is a secondary boot that simply loads a simple GUI that will allow him to play his music. No networking, no anti-virus, no firewall, just music.

I think that it's a really good idea. There are lots of times where I'd like to use my computer as a pure music player. The only problem that I can see is that the media-OS would still have to deal with drivers for your audio card and video card and such. I think that the development would be too much of a hassle... you might be able to get halfway there with a very, very, very stripped down distro of Linux tho.

Let us know if you find anything.

Hey, check out this:

gx-play-full.jpeg

GeeXboX is a full standalone media player. It's a bootable CD based on Linux which allows you to watch movies or listen to music. It supports most formats, such as MPEG, AVI, DivX, XviD, Ogg/Vorbis (Ogm, Ogg), RealMedia, MP3, DVD, VCD and Audio CD. Go to homepage for a few examples of its capabilities.

Home-page

Screenshots

Howzzat? Does it come close to what you want?

• 1 month later...