Why do people dislike ME

bluecat1

for my experience me is the worst os from m$ (including win3.1 and win1.0)
4 me it was the same. The only "old" OS stable enough to still use it on low-profile PCs would be WFW 3.11 for really, really old PCs and Windows 98 SE. I wouldn't install anything else from MS, then I would go upwards starting with Windows 2000, next XP Pro, then 2003. The other ones are just "crapware".

>but if u mix the files from ME which are part ogf 2000's enhancements, with windows >98se, u get a stable os rite?

In theory yes. In practice, my computer blew up. Specifically, every partition was corrupted simultaneously and I lost a number of files. Windows bluescreened continously on bootup. I would have lost dozens of GB if I didn't have DriveRescue.

I'm not sure why this happened. It's either from ME files, XP SP2 files, or some organic art screensaver I downloaded. It might have been the latter - when I installed the screensaver it said it was updating DX components, which is strange since I'm using Dx 9.0c Dec 2004.

>but if u mix the files from ME which are part ogf 2000's enhancements, with windows >98se, u get a stable os rite?

In theory yes. In practice, my computer blew up. Specifically, every partition was corrupted simultaneously and I lost a number of files. Windows bluescreened continously on bootup. I would have lost dozens of GB if I didn't have DriveRescue.

I'm not sure why this happened. It's either from ME files, XP SP2 files, or some organic art screensaver I downloaded. It might have been the latter - when I installed the screensaver it said it was updating DX components, which is strange since I'm using Dx 9.0c Dec 2004.

corrupting your partitions? i highly doubt that was anything to do in result of mixing the files.

I have an old MS game called Gex. when installing that, it still continues to update files in directx 9.0c. i think gex came with either 2.0 or 3.0 directx.

I seem to recall that Direct X checks the file versions before it "upgrades" them. If the versions are already greater than what is to be installed, it will finish completely, even if that means not replacing any of the Direct X files.

Windows XP also has a copy of most of the files included with itself. If a file is replaced with an unsigned file, it will repair it automatically.

I seem to recall that Direct X checks the file versions before it "upgrades" them. If the versions are already greater than what is to be installed, it will finish completely, even if that means not replacing any of the Direct X files.

Windows XP also has a copy of most of the files included with itself. If a file is replaced with an unsigned file, it will repair it automatically.

of course it does. but when the file is non existant in the latest version of directx, it copies over the file from the old directx...well in the case of Gex it does.

ME was a terrible OS. I've tried it on numerous machines, and it didn't work well on any of them.

ME out of the box couldn't even play a media file for me (popped up CATASTROPHIC ERROR when the media player errored LOL).

It had excellent drivers pre-loaded, but that was about it. The absolutely only thing I liked about it was my video drivers and sound drivers were pre-loaded when I installed it. 98 needed to have them installed.

I will say this though, pretty much ALL the people I know who bought a computer pre-loaded with ME didn't have any problems with it at all. The only people who I know of who had problems were people who bought it and installed it on their machine.

I used Windows Me in May 2001 to Jan 2002. During that time, I thought Windows Me is not a stable operation system. The computer "crash" dream is coming... and it force me to reinstall operation system in "n" times..

Until I start use Windows 2000, the operation system was more stable!!

Ya know. One time, I went over to work on a friend's home network and he told me that if I helped him, he'd give me an extra ATX case he had laying around. Seeing that I needed another case, this seemed like a fair trade. So, I went over to his place and helped him with several issues over the course of a few hours. Anyway, so when I'm done, he hands me an extra ME CD he had, saying that he'd thought it over and still needed the case. He then reminded me that a Win ME CD costs a fair amount more than an ATX case anyways. I just smiled, nodded, took the CD, and never helped him with another problem ever again.

I littered on the way home, flicking the CD out my car window frisbee-style :D

- Ravashaak