Needed files for Audigy Platnium

durex

Ive downloaded and extracted the soundblaster audigy driver package from creatives web site.

Does anyone happen to know which are the ONLY files needed? Im running XP and itas an audigy platnium. Im sure not every single file thats in the 'driver' folder is needed.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

I was wondering if you could elaborate a little further on the Audigy drivers needed here Bâshrat?

You say to look at the [sourceDisksFiles] to see what files are needed for the drivers, does that mean that you place all the "listed" files in the 003_Sound folder along with the "inf" & "cat" files?

I have to admit I'm still thoroughly lost as to "what" files actually go in the driver folders. I'm probably way off, but from reading all the post and the different guides I "think" that it's just the "inf" & "cat" files, at least all the examples I've seen show just those file types.

The other thing I would like a little more help with is: the Audigy card for instance, I know that if I just install the drivers on the UACD that the "Audigy card" will be the only thing working, how do I get the Mixer or Playcenter installed? Do I have to make a silent install for the those?

There are so many methods shown and talked about here that it gets confusing, at least for an old mind like mine. You can teach an old dog new tricks, it just takes a little longer. :yes:

Thanks for all the help!

drivers are drivers and applications are applications... their installation requirements are different.

in the INF, under source disk files, it should tell you the required files to get the hardware working. sometimes it's just inf and cats, other times it may be more, depending on the hardware. I honestly would put the required files in the same directory as the inf, unless the sourcediskfiles showed a subdirectory in the path to the files. As far as mixer and playcenter, those are apps, so those would have to be installed separately, and a silent install setup for those.

hope that helps

Well... thanks Rendrag... I don't think I could say it better... maybe a small addition:

to install the related apps you could use a 'conditional installation', i.e.:

if exist %SystemRoot%\system32\audigy_driver_file.sys START /WAIT setup.exe /switches

, this way the related apps will only get installed if this specific driver file is present ;)

Thanks alot Rendrag & Bâshrat, that cleared up alot for me.

Now, if the inf file shows a "subdirectory" as you mentioned, would I need to edit the inf file so that it shows those files are required but not in that specific "subdirectory" so that I just place all the files together in one folder for the UACD or should I put the "subdirectory" in the driver folder and when setup reads that inf it will automatically see the "subdirectory" to get those files without any additional editing to the winnt.sif? Sorry, for asking more, but I just need to know how to get all the additional "required" files placed in the $OEM$ files structure. I can't even imagine the nightmare I'm going to have trying to figure out how to get the new ATI Catalyst and components into the UACD. That alone has gotten me to thinking about forgetting about going through with this. :(

I personally think this whole UACD process is the coolest thing since the invention of the wheel and want learn how to do this more than anything. The problem I seem to have is that there are so many different methods for doing this that it's extremely confusing as to what is the best way or the easiest way. Everytime I get set on doing things a certain way I see another way to do it. I thought using nlite would be the way to go then I see about using batch or cmd files and the options that go along with them. I hope I'm making sense. I would like to see just one of the several methods completed, start to finish, with all the bells and whistles, but "without" alternatives methods mixed in so I can see how easy or hard this is all going to be in just "one" of the methods.

Anyway, thanks for all your help. Hopefully I can get enough help to build my confidence and I don't give up on it completely. :w00t:

you could edit the source disk files location to remove the subdirectory. I can't see there being a problem with that, however it's not something I've tried, so I can't say I'm 100% sure it will work.

Your winnt.sif would only have to reference the folder with the INF as that's where the hardware information is stored. It does not need to know where the supporting files are located.

$OEM$\$1\sound\(inf here)\supporting files\

so you would put in your winnt.sif a reference to the 'sound' folder. You would not need to put a reference in for the 'supporting files' folder.

Don't give up. If you work slow and try to refrain from getting frustrated, it's not so bad. :lol: