can't find aec6280.sys?

djbe

Hello,

first, i created an unattended dvd (no multi) of xp pro SP2. Then i decided to create a multi-boot dvd... using the dvd I already had (not burnt yet)

I added xp pro normal and unattended, UBCD and BartPE (based on the dvd I had). I used this guide. When I try to test it in virtual pc, I can start cdshell, but when I try to run bartpe or windows xp installation, I get an error: can't find aec6280.sys

For UBCD, it gets better: "can't boot from cd/dvd drive"

I did a search for aec6280 in my directories and it is in:

setup/xp/professional/i386

I then tried to copy the file to pro1 and pro2, and extract it in BPE1, but that didn't change anything... :(

edit: Is this because I based BartPE and the windows install on an already unattended dvd? I did do the cleanup part in the guide, and the unattended part also (actually, I read the whole guide :P

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

first, i created an unattended dvd (no multi) of xp pro SP2. Then i decided to create a multi-boot dvd... using the dvd I already had (not burnt yet)

I added xp pro normal and unattended, UBCD and BartPE (based on the dvd I had). I used this guide. When I try to test it in virtual pc, I can start cdshell, but when I try to run bartpe or windows xp installation, I get an error: can't find aec6280.sys

For UBCD, it gets better: "can't boot from cd/dvd drive"

I then tried to copy the file to pro1 and pro2, and extract it in BPE1, but that didn't change anything...  :(

edit: Is this because I based BartPE and the windows install on an already unattended dvd? I did do the cleanup part in the guide, and the unattended part also (actually, I read the whole guide :P

in your example

you need to copy or move the files from the i386 to the professional folder and up one folder in all the other multiboot cd folders..

best method for most situation is the "method 3" - named by me.

In fact it just a slightly modified method of the traditional way.

1) decompress all oem driver archives provided by the manufacturer, if neccessary

2) recompress the driver, file by file with ms cabmaker/LZX-21

3) grouping the drives, copy to one folder for each group, create sub-groups if there is conflict of filename

4) sort the groups/folders.

the resulted folder structure can be seen in following example:

under $OEM$\$1\Drivers\

1_chip\ (put all chipsets drivers in this directory)

2_raid\ (put all scsi/s-ata/raid controller drivers in this directory)

3_vid\ (put all video card drivers in this directory)

4_nic\ (put all network interface card drivers in this directory)

4_nic_wlan\ (put all wireless network card/adapter drivers in this directory)

5_aud\ (put all audio card drivers in this directory)

6_aud_cmi\ (put cmi audio card drivers in this directory, cos name-conflict with realtek/via-ac97 cards)

7_mod_pci\ (put all pci inernal modem drivers in this directory)

7_mod_amr\ (put all amr modem drivers in this directory)

7_mod_usb\ (put all usb modem drivers in this directory)

7_mod_dsl\ (put all usb-dsl, pcmcia-dsl drivers in this directory)

8_media\ (put all multimedia/TV/VCR/Capture drivers in this directory)

9_other \(put all other drivers in this directory)

9_other2\ (put all extrar drivers in this directory)

The advantages of this method is:

1) compact und quick: because of the recompression is the size of driver packs very small, and windows setup decompress/copy them to hdd at one stroke in lightning speed, no need for external tools and search for cd/folders.

2) flexible: you can use the drivers also after windows setup, for example for other windows xp witch is already installed(new hardware added, etc)

3) Maintanance friendly: you can add/modify/update the driver at any time, no need for compress the whole archive.

A description of such windows xp multiboot unattended setup CD can be seen in my post in this thread:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=35565

Oh well, I restarted anyway... now have xp in three languages on it! But still hav'nt integrated the driverpacks yet. Wich is the best method? 1 or 2?

if you have lots of room then 1 is best, but if like me you are trying to fit 2 OS's on one CD then 2 is best

I'm making a dvd... so lot's of room :D But if I integrate the drivers with method 1, will I be able to remove them? (let's say Bashrat suddenly changes the way drivers are integrated due to some major bug...) And if I make a BartPE, how does it work then to integrate the drivers? before or after? (And if after, how do I integrate the drivers into a BartPE)...

you need to copy or move the files from the i386 to the professional folder and up one folder in all the other multiboot cd folders..

What do you mean by that? In for example pro1 and pro2, I already have similar files to the ones in setup\xp\proffessional\i386... (115 files and a 'system32' folder).

One last question: If I integrate some updates and/or RyanMV's update pack, do I need to re-create those pro1 and pro2 folders?

I'm making a dvd... so lot's of room  But if I integrate the drivers with method 1, will I be able to remove them? (let's say Bashrat suddenly changes the way drivers are integrated due to some major bug...)
I find method 2 best for that, just change the relevant compressed file, BartPe has a different method of integration see other post.

What do you mean by that? In for example pro1 and pro2, I already have similar files to the ones in setup\xp\proffessional\i386... (115 files and a 'system32' folder).

in the multiboot environ' there is a folder for each install O/S so you have to move drivers from the i386 folder to the folder above i386 in each install

One last question: If I integrate some updates and/or RyanMV's update pack, do I need to re-create those pro1 and pro2 folders?

i found that ryans pack did not work in the multiboot disks, something to do with the changes in txtsetup.sif

n the multiboot environ' there is a folder for each install O/S so you have to move drivers from the i386 folder to the folder above i386 in each install
...with my alternative method you will only one $OEM$ folder thus it is very easy to maintain.

n the multiboot environ' there is a folder for each install O/S so you have to move drivers from the i386 folder to the folder above i386 in each install
...with my alternative method you will only one $OEM$ folder thus it is very easy to maintain.

I saw your version, not a bad way to go, i have to use CD's at the moment so method 2 is the easiest with the space i have.. :}

What doesn't work of ryanmv's pack? I tried it in and it seems to work:

I have all updates installed (checked with qfecheck)

pskill is there...

I even have the 'copy to... move to...' hack

(oh yeah, before confusing anyone, it's on a multiboot dvd with an unattended winXP english installation... Still have to test dutch version)

edit:

windows update complains about KB885836, but I think that's a bug that's mentioned on ryan's site for pack 1.05, isn't it?