Install from DVD?

Everything on this site points to putting the install files in the $OEM$ dir and then have setup copy the files, and then install it.

Wouldn't it just be easier to have the batch scripts install from the DVD? Or am I missing a big advantage of copying it first?

tnx

Dimava

A combination of both is generally what's best.

But, yes, absolutely. Make a batch file with a for %%i loop that tries to find the CD/DVD source of your files, and then installs them all from there.

I launch mine at GuiRunOnce from a batch file I deposited from $OEM$, but mostly because I need a full compliment of system services running, want a rollback point, etc. YMMV launching yours from any setup point you want with either pre-copied files or from-CD files.

EDIT: Since it wasn't clear, yes, I have all of my files to be installed in an \INSTALL directory on the drive. I use a for loop in my batch to find WIN51.SP2 on the CD. The final set of instructions in my .CMD file is to place a runonce .REG file that cleans up the batch installer I deposited on the drive.

I think the only reason the uA guide originally points to using $OEM$ method is perhaps its a bit easier to understand than using variables and FOR loops....

exactly, and that's how it's staying. It's better to get an understanding of whats goin on then to just jump into the more complex parts. It'd be like jumping into the deep end of a pool without learning how to swim in the shallow end...for most people it doesn't work.

As for advantage...

It depends on your rig. True you save the time it takes to transfer files from the CD to the HDD in the beginning, but if you're DVDdrive is slow or anything, seeking the files at installation could slow things down. But I find that it's cleaner to just install from CD as then I don't have to worry about cleaning up :whistle: