Unattended Install of VIA VT8237 SATA RAID Drivers

vinpu

Having Problems with Unattended Install of VIA VT8237 SATA RAID Drivers on Win XP Pro SP2.

During Text Setup Mode keep getting the following Error:

File txtsetup.oem caused an unexpected error (18) at line 1747 in d:\xpsprsm\base\boot\setup\oemdisk.c. Press any key to continue.

I press any key twice and the filecopying continues. Atleast it shows that its doin something [The error message still glaring at me]. All said and done the system restarts and I come with the blue screen I so dread in Windows and says:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer....Blah...Blah...Asks me to check for viruses etc... and finally gives Technical Info as :

***STOP: 0X0000007B (0XFAF47528,0XC0000034,0X00000000,0X00000000).

On the Flip Side here is how my TEXTSETUP.OEM file for VIA RAID looks like:

[Disks]

d1 = "VIA RAID Combo Driver", VIAMRAID.SYS, .

[Defaults]

scsi = VIARAID_MULTIPLE_XP

[scsi]
VIARAID_MULTIPLE_XP = "VIA RAID Controller(Windows XP)"

[Files.scsi.VIARAID_MULTIPLE_XP]
driver = d1, viamraid.sys, VIAMRAID_NT5
inf = d1, viamraid.inf
## Cat file directive. It should be marked with non-digital signed driver
catalog = d1, viamraid.cat

[HardwareIds.scsi.VIARAID_MULTIPLE_XP]
id = "PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3249","viamraid"
id = "PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3149","viamraid"
id = "PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3164","viamraid"

[Config.VIAMRAID_NT5]
value = Parameters\PnpInterface, 5, REG_DWORD, 1

I have the following entries in my Unattend.txt with reference to viamraid.sys:

[Data]
AutoPartition=0
MsDosInitiated="0"
UnattendedInstall="Yes"

[Unattended]
Unattendmode = FullUnattended
OemPreinstall = Yes
OemPnPDriversPath = "Drivers\RAID"
;;under$OEM$\$1
TargetPath = Windows
Filesystem = LeaveAlone
OemSkipEula = YES
FactoryMode = YES

[MassStorageDrivers]
"VIA RAID Controller(Windows XP)" = "OEM"

[OEMBootFiles]
viamraid.sys
VIAMRAID.INF
viamraid.cat
TXTSETUP.OEM

Have verified drivers for WHQL Certification and they seem OK. Entries in the TXTSETUP.SIF under i386 includes:

[SourceDisksFiles]
viamraid.sys = 1,,,,,,3_,4,1  [SIZE=7][b](Not too SURE about this one)[/b][/SIZE]

[HardwareIdsDatabase]
PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3249 = "VIA RAID"
PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3149 = "VIA RAID"
PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3164 = "VIA RAID"

[SCSI.load]
VIARAID_MULTIPLE_XP = viamraid.sys, 4

[scsi]
VIARAID_MULTIPLE_XP = "VIA RAID Controller(Windows XP)"

I am now in a complete rut and need help desperately or else I may be the next victim of a Tsunami guys. :unsure:

Hope someone answers to this query. Thanks in advance.

Please use CODE tags next time!

Edited by Bâshrat the Sneaky

Tried your options Bashrat. No go :(

Changed the TEXTSETUP.OEM entry to

d1 = "VIA RAID Combo Driver", \RAID\WinXP\VIAMRAID.SYS, \RAID\winxp

and also the viamraid.sys under TXTSETUP.SIF to

[SourceDisksFiles]
viamraid.sys = 1,,,,,,4_,4,1,,,1,4

I think it would be also worthwhile giving my folder structure. I've got

Source
   |_
      $OEM$
          |_
          |  $1
          |   |_
          |   |  TXTSETUP.OEM
          |   |_
          |       RAID
          |          |_
          |             WinXP
          |                |_
          |                   VIAMRAID.SYS            
          |
          |_
              Textmode (Has a copy of the driver files along with the Txtsetup.oem)

Is this alright???

I Tried....after reading the topic. (SIC)

Found that I had not put any entries for IDE CD-ROM under the [MassStorageDrivers] section. So I changed the same and it now looks like this:

[MassStorageDrivers]
"VIA RAID Controller(Windows XP)" = "OEM"
"IDE CD-ROM (ATAPI 1.2)/PCI IDE Controller" = "RETAIL"

Now some positives out of the entire process. I get to see the Windows XP Pro Splash screen atleast, after the file copy is over and then I get the

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer....Blah...Blah...Asks me to check for viruses etc... and finally gives Technical Info as :

***STOP: 0X0000007B (0XFAF47528,0XC0000034,0X00000000,0X00000000).

message all over again. So I guess there is light at the end of the tunnel and its not that of an oncoming train.

Thanks in Advance.

Today I tried Pyrons Method or Method 2 as people like calling it. No modifications to the winnt.sif or anywhere else. NO Textmode folder under $OEM$ directory. Just followed Pyron to the T. Everything went fine and I didn't get any

File txtsetup.oem caused an unexpected error (18) at line 1747 in d:\xpsprsm\base\boot\setup\oemdisk.c. Press any key to continue.

No ***STOP: 0X0000007B messages after the File copy was over. Everything went smooth as silk.

Whoa I am so relieved... Thanks a lot guys fro all your help...

3 Cheers to the MSFN Team!!!

Today I tried Pyrons Method or Method 2 as people like calling it. No modifications to the winnt.sif or anywhere else. NO Textmode folder under $OEM$ directory. Just followed Pyron to the T. Everything went fine and I didn't get any

No ***STOP: 0X0000007B messages after the File copy was over. Everything went smooth as silk.

Whoa I am so relieved... Thanks a lot guys fro all your help...

3 Cheers to the MSFN Team!!!

Yeah! That's the way everything should work :)

But tell me, you DID edit the txtsetup.sif file, right?

Nopes. No editing of the TXTSETUP.SIF was done. Would that really be necessary???

I guess that's the reason I am not seeing any entries for SATA RAID controller in the device manager. Also if I run a search for the viamraid.sys file on the system nothing turns up except for the entries pertaining to viaide.sys.

Will await your reply Bâshrat!!! :}

Nopes. No editing of the TXTSETUP.SIF was done. Would that really be necessary???

I guess that's the reason I am not seeing any entries for SATA RAID controller in the device manager. Also if I run a search for the viamraid.sys file on the system nothing turns up except for the entries pertaining to viaide.sys.

Will await your reply Bâshrat!!!  :}

You HAVE to edit the txtsetup.sif file to get MassStorage drivers installed! ;)

Here's a guide

EDIT: fixed wrong URL

Edited by Bâshrat the Sneaky

• 1 month later...

I also had the same problem, and made a couple of coasters and lost many hours from it, funnily enough it's also relating to the SATA drivers.

Starts off allowing me to copy the drivers over from floppy during setup pushing F6, (although I tried to integrate them) and then once it gets further says it cannot find viaraid.sys and a couple of other files so I have to ESC to continue, seems to install fine and then as soon as system reboots I get the BSOD with the same stop error, blue screen ****!!

Could you point me in the direction of the guide you had which allows you to even get a clean booted system? .....I don't mind installing the VIA RAID drivers seperately afterwards, no issue for me.... just getting to a state of being in Windows which is the blasted problem.

- D -

• 1 month later...

I'm having the same problem as Damolee, except when i was getting the BSODs at that stage, i put the hard drive in another computer, and copied the viamraid.sys, viamraid.inf, viapide.sys and viapide.inf into their windows directories (system32\drivers and inf)

I put the hard drive back in its home computer, and XP setup loaded, and installed :D

then it reboots, and won't load into windows for the first time :(

It just restarts, so i think its BSOD, since the default windows setting is to reboot, without displaying it. Any help gettin XP up and running on this comp would be much appreciated,

Fred