RUN MSDOS APP ON WINXP ;-) ?

chankya

Dear All

1) Any body know how to run MSDOS application on winxp and how to boot winxp in dos prompt like one by which winme can boot in msdos mode.

2) how to set number of files,buffer size in config.sys and let it execute it when boot with winxp

thanks for reply

Install said program, then right click on the shortcut that starts the program and click on properties. then click on the Compatibility Tab and click on Compatibility mode and choose one, windows 95 or 98/ME would work probably. To boot windows in dos mode, Hit the F8 key before windows boots up and then choose windows in command prompt only. In windows XP you should not have to use the files and buffers, but if you do then just create a config.sys file in the root of windows and enter your settings there.

Or you could right click on the my computer icon and then do properties and then click on the Advanced Tab and then click on Environment Variables and enter the info there.

I agree with firefoxthebomb.

If it is a program that run in dos environment u need to edit (\windows\system32\config.nt) and make files=80

and if u want to make it run in full screen, just make a bat file under this program to call it and add

mode con cols=85 lines=25

program_name

Hope it helps

Unfortunetly not all dos apps work on XP, despite using Compatibility Tab

Ge0ph is right pressing F8 at startup doesn't give you DOS mode. It's a complitely different program wich looks similar but the commands are different..

And as far as I know even if you wanted to run DOS from a floppy it wouldn't sea your NTFS partition (unless you have a FATXX of course)

I've removed 16-bit support, use only NTFS, and eliminated 8dot3 file-name compatibility - so even if "Compatibility mode"  is used, DOS apps won't run on my XP.

I was wondering if you could tell us where to change those options, because I assume that the system works faster?? :D:D:D