Retrive CDKey from memory?

Just what my brother in-law needs as he has been trying to find the "key" for his copy of XP.

I tried it on my Sony desktop(XP Home) and the key that was generated did not match the key tag affixed to the rear of the pc. I bought the pc new in NOV '01 and have kept it updated and have never reinstalled from my recovery discs.Should I be concerned the key doesn't match?

I have another pc that had 98SE on and was upgraded to XP and when I run the keyfinder on that it matches the key that came with the XP disc.

I tried it on my Sony desktop(XP Home) and the key that was generated did not match the key tag affixed to the rear of the pc. I bought the pc new in NOV '01 and have kept it updated and have never reinstalled from my recovery discs.Should I be concerned the key doesn't match?

No...most likely, your machine came with a pre-activated version of XP. Quite common, actually - for instance, all Dell OEM XP Professional install disks have the same product key in the winnt.sif on the CD, be it from original XP, SP1, SP1a, SP1a plus updates, or SP2. As long as your machine has a sticker with a product key on it, you have a valid copy.

You can actually locate on the Microsoft site a generic key that will allow you to install Windows XP. It will of course require you to register it within' 30 days, but the big name companies use OLA versions to install the original versions and they don't require activation.

I have been trying to run keyfinder on a machine with XP Pro installed on it.

When I d-click on keyfinder.exe, I get the hourglass, the folder flashes but I never get the keyfinder window. I have tried 3 different version of keyfionder including the new beta.

Can anyone tell me why it won't run?

Thanks.