Problem With 1.6.2

SeanGil

Hi everyone

Ive love this updater and have never had any problems using it with the exception of 1 machine. After I run the update and reboot I get an error on my POST screen saying "ERROR 02B2: Incorrect Drive A Type esc to resume" I hit escape and everything seems fine.

Then when using the modem I can make an initial connection but if I hang up and try to dial out again it says the port is still open. If I reboot the connection becomes available again but for only 1 time. I have tried this with AOL, and Hyperterminal. Ive reinstalled the modem and nothing doing.

I uninstalled 1.6.2 and everything seems to work fine. No error messages and can connect multiple times.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Sean

did you try beta 2 of sp 2.0?maybe that will help

also that error sounds to be a wrong setting in the bios

drive a is the floppy drive,try turning it offin the bios if you don't use it(hardly any1 uses it now)

also aol does suck for there internet connections

post some specs like what motherboard n stuff then we can help

hardly any1 uses it now

ur joking rite? i am yet to see a desktop computer in australian retail shops being sold without floppy drives. floppy disks are listed on skool booklists for students to use to back their work up on.

as for that error on your POST screen, i believe that has nothing to do with the service pack. go into your systems CMOS and change the floppy drive type to 1.44mb 3 1/2". this varies on systems.

are you using an external modem? double check both ur modem settings, and ur connection settings. i realise without the service pack everything works fine. but the service pack has obiously upset something so its worthwhile checking. it mite pay to update ur modem drivers. try to steer clear of microsoft and generic connexant drivers and retrieve the drivers from your modem vendor's website.

im tipping this has something to do with an update to the COM ports?

the drivers you get from the manufacturer instead of microsofts are fat better

he is probably using microsofts generic or connexent drivers

the drive error means he has his floppy set wrong in the bios

what kind of floppy is it?is it a 5/25 inch or a 3/one half?

i've used the sp on many older windows 98 se pcs and i never get this problem

well here in canada not many ppl use a floppy but a floppy is a good thing to have around just in case

if nothing else format it and put the sp after installing new ie then install directx and newest drivers then install your apps

i did it a different way and it messed it up so thats the way i recommend

First of all thanks for everyone who responded

I havent tried 2.0 beta yet

This machine is one Im working on for a friend and as I said everything works fine if I uninstall 1.6.2. No floppy drive error or connection problem.

He is using AOL because that is some peoples preference (not mine of course) :)

It is a Gateway Performance 600

Dont really want to turn the floppy off as it does get accessed ocassionally

The floppy is set in BIOS as 1.44 3 1/2

It has an internal US Robotics modem and I have downloaded the updated drivers for the specific model at Gateway and still it exists.

I was thinking maybe it had to do with the DUN 1.4 update in the SP

I have ran the SP on 4 other machines and have not had a problem

it could just as well be. on one of my systems running this SP, i get constant disconnections. not sure if it was happening before the implementation of the service pack on that system as i did not use that modem often. it is a connexant based Puretek Internal 56k modem.

perhaps gape could advise u on how to re-install DUN without windows grabbing files from the sp1.cab. i would say to temporarily rename that file and try. but do so at ur own risk. this would then restore the original DUN version.

and soldier1st, are you saying not many ppl USE floppy drives, or not many computers come standard with floppy drives in canada?

i'm saying they don't come as standard as they used to be

there only 10 bucks so you can't beat the price,also more ppl r using usb flash drives to replace the floppy drive.

SeanGil you should uninstall the sp 1.6.2 then

download DUN 1.4 from this site: http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/downloa...n14/default.asp

it won't grab files from the sp1.cab file or do a file search for sp1.cab after uninstalling the sp to make sure it is gone

this sp needs to be fixed,most times it won't install the windows installer v2 on my windows 98 se install so i have to install that myself or before installing the sp

First of all thanks for everyone who responded

I havent tried 2.0 beta yet

This machine is one Im working on for a friend and as I said everything works fine if I uninstall 1.6.2. No floppy drive error or connection problem.

He is using AOL because that is some peoples preference (not mine of course)  :)

It is a Gateway Performance 600

Dont really want to turn the floppy off as it does get accessed ocassionally

The floppy is set in BIOS as 1.44 3 1/2

It has an internal US Robotics modem and I have downloaded the updated drivers for the specific model at Gateway and still it exists.

I have ran the SP on 4 other machines and have not had a problem

What version of AOL is your friend using, SeanGil? I am currently using the

latest version of AOL which is 9.0 optimized. AOL 9.0 requires a fast PC

with at least 128 megabytes of RAM. Try upgrading to the latest version of AOL.

To solve part of the floppy drive problem, right-click on the My Computer icon

and choose Properties. Click on the File System button and click on the Floppy

Disk tab, and uncheck the option of searching for floppy drives. Click OK

on all the open dialog boxes and reboot.

Try downloading the latest US Robotics drivers at the U.S. Robotics site instead

of the Gateway site. Here's the U.S. Robotics support page on where you

can try to find the exact model of US Robotics modem you are using:

http://www.usr.com/support/s-main-menu.asp

He is using AOL9 security edition.

The strange thing has been all of these things have gone back to normal after uninstalling the SP.

So I just did the manual updates and security patches and the tray color update. Everything seems to be ok now. Is there something vitally important Im missing if I dont use the SP?

Thanks again for all the responses

Sean

• 2 weeks later...

Orphaned Tasks after Return from Screen Saver:

Versions 1.6.2 and 2 beta both give this (aesthetic) problem on multiple machines.

The Button for the Task remains on the taskbar, disappearing only when left-clicked.

Has anyone else seen this?

Orphaned Tasks after Return from Screen Saver:

Versions 1.6.2 and 2 beta both give this (aesthetic) problem on multiple machines.

The Button for the Task remains on the taskbar, disappearing only when left-clicked.

Has anyone else seen this?

if by that u mean a blank task button on the task bar then yes, i have seen this. i get this every now and then whether systems are running the SP or not.