Add 'Find Target' to Right Click...

Oh_Kay

Hi guys,

Im looking for a way to add the 'find target' command to my 'right click / contextual menu' in windows XP SP2, Im all googled out and can't find jack on the subject of this particular mod...

Anyone out there come across that one ? or can you suggest a way I may find it using RegShot or what ever that app is called ?

Any help is appreciated.

Kay

maxXPsoft : Nice to see your still a regular here, I don't get around these parts as much as I used to ;)

Thanks for your input on this one, I didn't realise it was a dll call, I dunno nothing about dll's so I would never have thought to look down that road...

Tsunami: WOW ! I Googled till I could Google no more on that one, I can't imagine what you typed in to get that result, but a huge THANKS !!

From reading that link, the author of that code had the same problem I now have and had to resort to writing something to do the job, and while Im not nuts about adding something else to the system when I don't know what it does, I really want the functionality of this one... so until something better comes along, Im gonna run with it...

Seasons Greetings to one and all.

Kay

• 3 months later...

a buddy of mine recently asked me to write him a program to do this and the first step of doing so is researching exactly how it's done and i've come across an even more simple way than an entire program.......so i realize this post here is old news but maybe this will help someone out in the future.......

you can use a registry hack like this to add "Find Target" to the context menu for every single file type and directory....cant seem to get this to work for just shortcut (.lnk) files (there really is no point in "find target" if you're looking at the file right?) but hopefully this will point someone in the right direction.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\Find.Target]

@="&Find Target"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\Find.Target\command]

@="\"explorer.exe\" /select,\"%1\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\Find.Target]

@="&Find Target"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\Find.Target\command]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello.

Oh_key, I'm afraid you won't find such a registry hack for .lnk files. As far as I know you need to load the shelllink and resolve it. After this you'll be able to find the target object. At least Context Magic doing so. I agree with maxXPsoft, you'll need a .dll.

Have a nice day,

Leonid

• 1 month later...

Wow, I started this thread 9 months ago, and here I am again, after a reinstall, looking for the method to add this back in to my windows all over again, it's the feature I just can't live without !!

Thanks to everyone for the replies, I have been using the first soloution from Code Project for months now and it works fine, so thats what I will be using again.

It would be nice if there was an easeir way to implement it rather than adding a DLL file, but thats up to Microsoft to add this feature in to their next OS (hint hint)

:)

Kay

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\Find.Target]
@="&Find Target"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\Find.Target\command]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\Find.Target]
@="&Find Target"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\Find.Target\command]