Safely Remove Hardware Icon(that everyone hate)

ripken204

that just explains wut the icon does, and also i want to find a way to completely remove it, i dont want to hide it, i do have a program that will get rid of it but i have to click it every time i log on and that gets annoying.

I have the same icon, I've had it for 11 months now. I chose the "Always Hide" option in Customise Taskbar and I haven't seen it since (Yes it's still there - I just checked, still there, still hidden, still totally out of sight). You could do the same - it's quite simple. I've already explained how to do it, in a previous post!

that just explains wut the icon does, and also i want to find a way to completely remove it, i dont want to hide it, i do have a program that will get rid of it but i have to click it every time i log on and that gets annoying.

If you completely remove it, how are you going to unplug usb devices that are not hot-swappable? :huh:

BTW, you haven't specified if you are the ONLY person that's going to use that PC you want to remove the safe-remove icon.

Hey. I have the opposite problem. I'm dreadfully paranoid of killing my 128 MB JumpDrive or Zip 100 (yes, i know they aren't that great, but i love them both anyway) and somehow, i lost my safe removal icon. I installed McAfee internet security suite yesterday, and *poof* it was gone. Does anybody know how i can get it back? I've tried setting it to always show, i've restarted about a billion times now, and i'm even exploring my startup programs in an effort to put it in there. The only thing I've noticed that's different is that there are far fewer instances of "svchost.exe" running. Could this have something to do with it? Oh and i lost my volume icon too... I would like it back, and have already tried many things, but it's not all that important to me in the long run... Thanks in advance...

Haven't tried that yet... there was no software with the jumpdrive, but there was software for my zip drive and my printer, which also show up under the icon. What i don't understand is how the icon disappeared in the first place. I somehow got my volume control back, but not my safe removal. I'll try reinstalling the software for the zip drive though... Good call, red_house

any other ideas in case that doesn't work, ne1?

• 2 months later...

Hide "Safely Remove Hardware" icon

http://www.tweakxp.com/tweak123852.aspx

Here is a good way to remove the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon from the systray on Windows XP, without enabling the "hide inactive icons and always hide" tip, which I found not useful because I don't like this little arrow more than this annoying icon.

The way to remove the icon is to use a program I made (6 Ko zipped, open source, compilable with masm32) :

Download HideSRHi !

Remember : this icon MUST be use in order to unplug USB device safely. Use this program only if you never remove any of those devices, like me. To restore the icon after running the program, you will have to reset your session, kill explorer.exe or reboot : use with c

Also the Icon is in the stobject.dll (icon group 210) file in WINDOWS\system32 so maybe it can be hacked out.

[edti] ResHacker method will create a blank space in the tray.

Edited by DigeratiPrime

you can do one of two things as i see it if you dont want to just hide the icon (i also hate the icon and the stupid hide arrow as well so this is what i do)

1.) download HideSRHi from the link stated above and extract the exe to your system32 folder then enter this into your registry

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"HideSRHi"="HIDESRHI.EXE"

or

2.) download the program place it anywhere you like and creat a shortcut to it in your startup folder.

EDIT: This is not working at the moment, will fix later.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

;[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
;"HideSRHi"=HideSRHi.exe

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"HideSRHi"=HideSRHi.exe

Also you can create a shortcut to open the Dialog box Without using the Tray Icon.

Just create a shortcut to:

%windir%\System32\RUNDLL32.EXE shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll

Edited by DigeratiPrime

ok i have made a setup file (with winrar so you can unpack the exe and see the code in the setup cmd for yourself if you dont trust it) that places hidsrhi.exe into your system32 folder, automatically adds the registry key to run hidesrhi.exe everytime your computer starts, runs hidesrhi.exe to remove the icon right away without retarting, and then creates a shortcut to the remove dialog under start button\all programs\accessories.

DOESNT work at the moment due to load order, will fix later

HideSRHi.zip

just noticed that also... im going to try a few things after my classes and ill try and figure away around this. it might be something as easy as changing the file names and reg key to "zHideSRHi"="zHIDESRHI.EXE" so it loads later. but i gotta go to class now so i cant test it at the moment.