Stripping 'useless' folders.

Gagorian

The method i use to avoid the copy and integration of these folders into built CD.

• Create an ISO image with an imaging tool like LC ISO Creator of your source CD on your hard drive.
  • remove the unwanted folders from the image and save it with a CD/DVD image file edit tool.
  • Mount the image as virtual CD with tools like FileDisk (console tool) or DAEMON Tools (GUI)
  • Set XPSOURCE=<VirtualCD_Drive_Letter> in XPCreate.ini

Voilà !

If you have Nero 6, you can do all the required steps with Nero Burning ROM and Nero Image Drive.

The method I use is to copy the contents of the XP cdrom to the harddrive and delete the unwanted directories. I have a directory called D:\Source\WXPSP2 and that only contains the root of the cdrom and the I386 Directory. Set XPSOURCE=D:\Source\WXPSP2 in the XPCreate.ini file.

There is no need to create ISO file and to mount this iso to a driveletter.

• 3 weeks later...

I too use this copy CD to hard drive method.

What I do/did is copy my SP0 files to my hard drive, perform a slipstream to SP2 on those folders, copy that to a folder to something called "XPSP2-use" and modify that "use" folder.

That way, I don't have to wait for the slipstreaming of SP2 (plus I heard the result will be smaller if you slipstream from RTM or gold or SP0 without all that SP1 / 1a business).

Then if I mangle my "use" folder, (like being a tad to agressive with my file/folder pruning), I can just copy the "full" version back to it.

Oddly enough, the boot image for the CD has dissappeared from the more recent distro of XPCREATE I'm using. Fortunately I kept the image from an older one.

Um... So to actually answer your question :D , YES!

But you'll have to learn to program .cmd files and edit "xpcreate.cmd" or just do what I and the others have suggested. However our methods involve tying up a decent chunk of your HD.

• 3 weeks later...

The simplest solution is to run XPCREATE a first time, and then modify the contents of the CDSOURCE directory to fit your particular needs. I will not be attempting a selective delete, or copy, of files, as this will restrict the portability of XPCREATE, and require reviewing and possible updating with every new hotfix. Sorry Bilou ...