XP Takes Way Too Long To Load Up

ripken204

i have xp pro sp2

256 mb ram

1.4 ghz proccessor

my computer is taking way too long to load, its at leas 15 min till i can do anything and im not kidding. i know about all the tricks too: msconfig is the big one. its defraged and all of that stuff. norton internet security 2005 finnaly loads up 5 minutes after the rest of the computer is done loading. is there anything else that i can do?

also i know about reinstallin windows, ive done it at least 10 times already but i wont have time for that for about a month, so plz help.

Sounds like more than a "need more memory" problem. 15 minutes to load is ridiculous.

Is this with a fresh installation of XP SP2? If you have accumulated a lot of thing on your Windows installation it will certainly take a long time to load (assuming you haven't run Diskclean and Defrag in a while).

But still, this sounds like a different problem to me. Have you added any new hardware lately? Please give more information if you can.

i know about all the tricks too: msconfig is the big one.

Please explain this trick....

Tell us what you've prevented from starting up with it and what you have allowed to start up.

How many processes are there running in your Task Manager?

Is the 256MB RAM also running on board graphics?

Oh and why put the biggest heap of bloated garbage onto your machine and then complain about speed! Take the Norton rubbish off your machine, and watch the speeds increase massively.

Sounds like more than a "need more memory" problem.  15 minutes to load is ridiculous. 

Is this with a fresh installation of XP SP2?  If you have accumulated a lot of thing on your Windows installation it will certainly take a long time to load (assuming you haven't run Diskclean and Defrag in a while).

But still, this sounds like a different problem to me.  Have you added any new hardware lately?  Please give more information if you can.

yes all the installations ive done is called a "clean installation" its been working fine untill lately and my hd is defraged with diskeeper pro which is rly good and i havnt added any new hardware

i know about all the tricks too: msconfig is the big one.

Please explain this trick....

Tell us what you've prevented from starting up with it and what you have allowed to start up.

How many processes are there running in your Task Manager?

Is the 256MB RAM also running on board graphics?

Oh and why put the biggest heap of bloated garbage onto your machine and then complain about speed! Take the Norton rubbish off your machine, and watch the speeds increase massively.

the only thing that i am allowing to start up is norton internet security 2005

Clean up :

Recommended:

C:\windows\prefetch

C:\windows\temp

C:\windows\system32\dllcache

Optional:

C:\Documents and Settings\Profile\Local Settings\Temp (local settings its hidden)

C:\Documents and Settings\Profile\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

Priority:

Unistall norton internet security, put avg antivirus and a spyware prog.

Get 256Ram more, asap

;)

i went into boot mode, took about a min to load. i disabled any program from starting up and it loads in about 2 min, NIS2004 must be the problem then but it hasnt been too bad untill lately, ide like to keep it but its slowing down the comp too much.

c'mon guys I know Norton Internet Security could be slowing things down, but 15 minutes????

I say do what another member suggested and let us have a look at your msconfig.

That is the best option, please don't suggest any more programs, it appears to me that the original poster doesn't know how to properly use the ones they already have.

The System Configuration utility automates routine troubleshooting steps for use when diagnosing system configuration issues. It is not meant as a 'trick' to speed up your computer.

I myself wouldn't like to try msconfigging out everything, and hope that the machine still boots up okay.