Bypassing Firewalls!

slayer69

Does anyone one have a simple yet efficient way of bypassing a firewall. Not using an Http Tunnel. I'm tyring to use emule/kazaa/turbotorrent but the proxy/firewall isn't allowing any connections of that nature even if I put in the proxy settings....

Any help would be greatly appretiated!

Unfortunatly I do not have access to the firewall to be able to change settings or open up ports. I have an I dea of what ports are open and was thinking of using them some instead of the normal ports associated with the above mentioned programs.

Well if you can't access the firewall, you're probably not the sysadmin, which means that a responsible adult has put some good rules in place to prevent you plagurising (sp?) other peoples work, i'm not going to help you.

so there.

cheers,

10forcash,

ps. happy christmas - you sponger.... :P

Well some ones a got a fat carrot up his @SS. Listen here buddy if you don't want help me then why post? Any way I'm network administrator for a cape town branch of the company I'm out sourced at. The firewall I'm talking about is at the head office in colonge, germany. Because I'm not a direct employee of this compant I don't have admin or system rights to the firewall. Nuf Said.

Take a hint buddy if you don't want to help somebody rather don't reply to thier topic!

Hope not to hear from you again...

To everyone else who may have some ideas, it would help me analise the security of my site more efficiently.

SLAYER69

Downside is, most decent firewalls block all traffic unless you let it through, so you'd have trouble i think.

A netstat -a will show what ports are listening and you may be able to piggyback an app onto one of these.

Other than that not sure, unless you get more assistance from Cologne people.

Well some ones a got a fat carrot up his @SS. Listen here buddy if you don't want help me then why post? Any way I'm network administrator for a cape town branch of the company I'm out sourced at. The firewall I'm talking about is at the head office in colonge, germany. Because I'm not a direct employee of this compant I don't have admin or system rights to the firewall. Nuf Said.

Take a hint buddy if you don't want to help somebody rather don't reply to thier topic!

Hope not to hear from you again...

To everyone else who may have some ideas, it would help me analise the security of my site more efficiently.

SLAYER69

I find it hard to believe that a network administrator would be willing to jeopardize his employer by running p2p software.

As a former NetAdmin there was nothing I hated more then having to clean up 20 PC's because no rules were defined before I started working there.

Assuming your are smart enough to avoid infecting your system, which is not difficult. You still leave yourself open for attack by people that prey on p2pers. Having a static IP is just more fun for them.

Then you have to consider the legal ramifications.

Do NOT install p2p software on your companies computer.

If you are interested in setting up a corporate file sharing network. As a network administrator you could institute a company wide product like QNext. Which is a trillian style messenger program with file sharing capabilities. You can create multiple shares with different settings. (For instance IT files only allowed to other IT members, memorandums available company wide, but still within the group of "friends" that you create etc) You could also use the refernce material here to create a network share of the file, perhaps with preconfigured contact list.

But I dont suggest p2p software on a corporate network (no matter how tempting that E-# or whatever) line is ;)

So you're saying that you want to be able to bypass effective security in order to analyze said security?

Seems to me that if you can't get anything past the firewall, things are already working well.

From personal experience in an international setting, if you have a legitimate requirement to open certain firewall ports, a series of emails and letters to the 'head office' which are vetted by your boss in ZA (or Germany) should be sufficient. Unless you boss knows nothing about this.

Honestly people,

Are you attempting to discurage file sharing and P2P, if so its working, you've got yourselfs a bit of a flame war going on here!

The point is, if he wants to screw up his network / possibly find himself in slight trouble with the local gestapo, so be it...

Anyway, is the trouble with people connecting to you, or you connecting to them. If its them connecting to you there is nothing that you can do about it, if its the other way around, fiddle with the proxy / connection ports and change them to something common such as TCP80 or TCP81. However, if your net has packet sniffing enabled or sees where the packets are going there is no hope, thus in that case I suggest you use the BitTorrent network, and even that might not work!

Still, I hope you do listen to the people above, file sharing is having major probs these days, and there is the attendent problem with AdWare and SpyWare, so use it at your own risk.

Thanks to all who replied. I've come to the conclusion that if I can't find a way to get through our firewall to use P2P software then niether can the users. Also I'm going to close this topic, unless anyone has anything else to say or add?