Change requests - new ideas - wishlist

Hello users.

In this thread I'd like you to post your 'wishlist' for WPI. If you think something is missing, or have an idea for new functionality, pleas leave a post, describing your idea AND the way you think it should work.

I'm subscribed to this thread, and if you're lucky, you'd get your wish fullfilled.

Note: any long discussions should be omitted. If someone has a wish, respect it. For a detailed discussion, start a new thread, and refer to it, so that this thread stays clean of something like:

A: I wish for this ...

B: I don't think that wish is a good one ...

A: But ...

B: No ....

I'll edit the posts with a DONE, comment if a change has been made available to the public. So don't wonder, if your posts don't look the same next day. I'll just add text - I'll not remove a line.

My suggestion is that when changes are made, make them optional, unless its a bug fix.

Some of the changes suggested in that 60-somewhat-page-long thread I don't want, so please make them user-choice.

Thanks!

The good of the many should out weight the good of the few. Majority rules!

All the updates are great for my needs and uses. In addition u can control

everything in useroptions.js

The only thing i would wish for is when a new version is released.

Details on how to manipulate the new version should also be released in detail.

But hasi, i must say the latest build is great!

this is what i'd like:

-use this style for tool tip:

Style[0]=["black","black","#FFb200","#FFD980","","","","","","","","","","",200,"",2,2,10,10,24,0.5,0,"",""]

-maybe some documentation about tool tips code

-different images for buttons(Select deafaults...), to distinguish between selected and not selected (like a checkbox)

-it would be nice a graphical form for config.js, like the options one

DONE

however this program rocks!

thanks a lot

sonica

Edited by hasi001

I have one request that would save me and I think others a lot of time. It would be sweet if when the wpi is launched that it greyed out any items that are not available, with the option to have them greyed out or not shown at all.

For example, I maintain many different wpi implementations, some on DVD with a ton of apps, some on CD. It would be nice to use the same wpi for all of them and then just delete the software programs that dont fit on my CD but still use the same wpi menu, since it would grey out those apps that are not available or even hide them.

DONE

Right now when I update my wpi I then have to go to each wpi config and make the same changes because if I just copy paste from my DVD to my CD implementation the apps are completely different since I can only fit a few apps on the cd compared to the dvd.

If WPI would do an "if not exist" type thing for cmd1 then grey out and now allow it to be checked that would be sweet, then you could move wpi around so easily since the menu would only show the apps that were there.

DONE, see cond[pn] property

Just a thought.

By the way I found the most useful way to run wpi is stand alone from a 1gb usb flash drive. I can fit about 90% of everything I install on it and I just double click on the drive letter and the autoplay kicks in and launches the menu. Great for testing as well.

For a second suggestion it would be nice if I select one program that it disables the ability to check a few other programs for things like office where I have tranforms that install the full office, and some that only install a few parts.

DONE

Dennis

Edited by hasi001

For example, I maintain many different wpi implementations, some on DVD with a ton of apps, some on CD. It would be nice to use the same wpi for all of them and then just delete the software programs that dont fit on my CD but still use the same wpi menu, since it would grey out those apps that are not available or even hide them.

awesome idea :D that'd be sweet too! :D

EDIT: running off the same idea as above, what about an OS flag, like "if os = nt" do, else grey out/hide same with 9x

DONE, see cond[pn] property

EDIT: just thought of something else, how about "profiles"

everything

custom

lite

which selects a "lite" setup ? :P i know its lazy but ya never know :P

Edited by hasi001

Perhaps a little more custom friendly - like the config page.

Make it so that you from the config page can choose font color and perhaps the colors of the top and bottom.

This is for those ppl who have no clue on editing things themselves and need it from the bottom and fail proff.

For a second suggestion it would be nice if I select one program that it disables the ability to check a few other programs for things like office where I have tranforms that install the full office, and some that only install a few parts.

Dennis

I share his suggestion too.

It is importand for ex. Office and other progs like codecs.

there's another feature i'd like to see in WPI now that it comes with a GUI

in italian language it happens quite often to use an apostrophe ---> '

but if i use it in wpi config without escape it, it mess up all code. i'd like a procedure that auotomatically escape it if i use it in any textbox

sonica

DONE

Edited by hasi001

Hi hasi

you are doing a great job on the new version, i am really impressed :D

How about adding some more system variables

such as

sysdir = %windir% + \system32

plus any others that might come in handy?

DONE, incorporated your changes

also implement a easier way to use COPY, XCOPY, REN etc

maybe these could have thier own commandline? or cmd1-6 checked for these commands and then the cmd.exe /c added to the beginning? as in the thread on notepad.

DONE, incorporated your changes

Edited by hasi001

Think I found a solution to my problem as discussed earlier in a... ahem... different thread. :P I have my install files packed as an SFX and would like to make the unpack procedure dependent upon whether or not the user chooses to install ANY application from the WPI interface. I would prefer not to have two entries in the WPI interface referencing the unpack process and later the cleanup process. hasi001 has put "hidden (forced install) programs" on his list, but we all need our sleep. In any event, a confirmation dialogue appears when using the 'forced' mode, at least in the WPI version I have, defeating the timer countdown to an unattended install.

Maybe the thing to do here is just keep things modular and SFX each app separately?!? I don't know if this will add to the overall size of the CD, but it might actually make things move more quickly especially if only a few items are selected. With six (6) command lines now available, this should be doable for all but the most intricate installs. Unpack/Install/Delete!

So, for wishes, removing the confirmation dialogue when in forced mode would be nice. Also, hidden before and after installs--tied to other programs in the list--that operated without user intervention would be cool. This WPI app is so close to perfect as it is, well... if it ain't broke, don't fix it! ;)