Ok Dumb Newb asks... SP2

This is so frustratin!

I spent the last hour searching this forum and you are all way too techy for me- I dont understand a word you say with regards to my problem.

I have created my unattended XP Pro CD- that was fine.

I integrated SP2- that was fine.

I applied reg tweaks too- that was fine.

This was all following the guide step by step.

Now I'm trying to integrate the 4 critical updates:

KB834707.exe

KB885835.exe

KB885836.exe

KB886185.exe

QChain.exe

I did this using the method of svcpack.inf with /Q /N /Z switches under [setupHotfixesToRun] with the Update folder in I386.

The updates run fine, however, there is one of these that asks me to click 'Ok' to extract the contents during installation- I do which results is successful installation of all updates- but this now prevents this from being an unattended installation.

Please can someone point me in the right direction to get these updates automated unattended.

Thanks and sorry if this is repeating and sounding dumb!

AliX

There are a few possible solutions:

1. Use RyanVM's update pack, as suggested by S0mE0nesMiNd1. You can download it here. Complete instructions are provided by Ryan himself on that site.

2. brian873 started a thread here where he posted a set of batch files to automate the integration process to some extent. I believe he is in the process of implementing some changes and will be posting an updated version soon. The current version does work, but some knowledge of command scripting is required to modify it to your particular environment.

3. To the best of my knowledge, all post-SP2 hotfixes support the /integrate command. (This is the principle that allowed Brian and I to create our scripts.) Simply download the redistributable versions of the hotfixes and then execute from the command line as follows:

<HotfixFilename> /passive /integrate:<XPSP2SourceFilesPath>

Make sure there is no space between the : after integrate and the path to your xp source files.

Ryan's update pack is probably the easiest route for anyone who doesn't require complete control over their environment. In a business environment where some of the additional changes made by Ryan's pack may not be appropriate, I would suggest either using the batch scripts created by Brian and I or doing it manually.

Cartoonite has given very good suggestions. As he says, the best thing you can do is either "/integrate" (most favoured option), or RyanVM's update pack.

@alexburn

I'm almost sure, that the "ok" dialog is coming because of the Qchain. Did you extract Qchain.exe (using winzip/winrar) or did you just download the file and put it as it is into the Update folder?

alright, and now for the EASY answer for you to reduce the amount of work...

remove QCHAIN.EXE

Problem solved :)

You didn't completely read the site, where it said to run the download, THEN copy the proper QCHAIN.EXE file. I'll try and make that more clear in the update (sorry for the confusion). Also, QCHAIN is no longer needed with Post-SP2 updates (what you're using)

At the point you're at, this is probally the simple fix.

I ran into the same problem but fixed it another way.

The first thing I did was look and see where it said it was extracting too.

It turned out to not associated with the hotfixes ata ll but with on of the other scripts I copied and used. I think it was the components list. I thought I had edited to my liking but I completely missed all of the Inet Srev components I removed them (I am not going to run a server from home) and was fine.

The other problem I had was withthe Highmat hotfix. I added /QUIET and it worked fine.