SP2 and Post-SP2 Hotfixes CD Project

DLF

hi everybody,

while lookin in the forum for "a solution" i found this thread - i'm also preparing an cd for automated hotfix installations - and hope u could enlighten me...

is there a possibility to check if an hotfix is already installed, before installing it again ? well, i would like to add "every patch-day" the necessary hotfixes to my cd and it would be great, if i don't have to care, if some of them are already installed on the system(s).

and, if running in runonce, wouldn't it be necessary to add:

REG ADD %KEY%\295 /VE /D "Verifying....." /f
REG ADD %KEY%\295 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\qchain.exe" /f

at the end ?

help would be appreciated, happy happy new year to this great forum!! - here in austria last day of the year just started..... :hello:

hi everybody,

while lookin in the forum for "a solution" i found this thread - i'm also preparing an cd for automated hotfix installations - and hope u could enlighten me...

is there a possibility to check if an hotfix is already installed, before installing it again ? well, i would like to add "every patch-day" the necessary hotfixes to my cd and it would be great, if i don't have to care, if some of them are already installed on the system(s).

and, if running in runonce, wouldn't it be necessary to add:

REG ADD %KEY%\295 /VE /D "Verifying....." /f
REG ADD %KEY%\295 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\qchain.exe" /f

at the end ?

help would be appreciated, happy happy new year to this great forum!! - here in austria last day of the year just started..... :hello:

I suggest you use WIHU. It has the ability to check for the existence of registry entries and file versions and whatnot and will do what you want for say if it's already installed, and deselect it if it is.

As for QCHAIN, if you're maintaining SP2 systems, you don't need it. The functionality is already included in the hotfixes.

Hey look if u make SP2 CD u don't need to install hotfixes with batch file. Post SP2 hotfixes can be easyly integrated in source. Switches are same as for Service Pack file. Simply type

WindowsXP-KBxxxxxx-x86-enu.exe /integrate:<path>

for each hotfix and they will be installed with windows.

@ ankap

@raverod

Neither of you have read or understood the project. These are customers machines, 100's of them, NOT networked and UNABLE to reformat due to cust req.

They contain basic Windows XP. All must be updated to SP2 and beyond i.e. the 19 post SP2 hotfixes.

It will take me weeks to do this, so I need a CD that I can stick in the machine, let it autorun install SP2 and then all the post SP2 hotfixes without any user input.

I've already stated this in previous posts - if I could have run my latest UAXP CD on them they would all be done by now.

I know how to integrate hotfixes into a Windows source. But I dont know how to make a CD that will do this. Cartoonite and a number of other forum regulars are helping me work on this project and I would appreciate your input too - but PLEASE understand the project before making posts that dont help because you've not read the requirement.

Hey DLF,

Just wanted to thank everyone for jumping in and helping out on this. Your help is really appreciated in making this happen.

I'm gonna take a look at some of the RunOnceEx stuff and see if I can help make some heads and tails out of it. Hopefully, we can get something out which will take care of the problem. This would be a great help for DLF and is something I'd like to carry around in case I run across a computer than can't get a format applied to it. :D

Thanks again,

--Leviathan

DLF is there some way I can get in contact with you...I just wanted to see if some things would work...basically what I have done is extract sp2.exe and if you go looking you can almost find a complete xp cd in there (not quite but its only missing a few files)...and what Im thinking is you could integrate the hotfixes into the sp2 source...not cd source, but sp2 that you extracted...I have looked through the folders and found the one youd need to do it to, but I need to do some more looking to find out where to put the reg entries for each hotfix...then leave it uncompressed and just run update.exe....I havent tested that and I believe someone said you cant run update.exe like that....but that is what id like you to test, Id test if I had a sp1 cd or machine anymore, but I dont. I am going to look and see if I can put ryanvm's inf somewhere and have it run (just as a test). This way you would just need to run update.exe and when its done, restart your machine...THIS DOES NOT install wmp at all, but you could easily set up a runonceex, but I believe this would be easier than having multiple hotfixes installing at runonceex time.

@DLF: I know what you mean by the project. It should be possible to create an admin install point for SP2, then use the /integrate switch on each of the hotfixes to integrate them into the SP2 admin install point.

Once that's done, put the SP2 admin install point onto a CDR and install SP2 that way.

I didn't mean to slipstream the hotfixes into a Windows source.

Edit: Yeah, what evilvoice means is what I meant.

there are a few problems with my thinking...

1. I cant find some files that ryanvm has in his update pack, so I dunno how those would be integrated...also, im not 100% sure it can be integrated with a switch because its missing some things...like a svcpack file and folder to run the hotfixes...but i dunno, that would be something to try...I have copied over the files now im looking for where to put the reg entries.

EDIT: it seems that update.inf would allow a way to install the cat files for each hotfix and also include the reg entries and if you needed to add files or run them...actually, DLF, you should take a look at update.inf...I will later today maybe, but I am almost positive that would be the place to start with what you want to do...I am very interested in this because I could add it to my unattended cd of xpsp2 without almost any space using cdimage...and offer an autorun menu to install sp2 with all current hotfixes...this really is a good idea so dont get discouraged.

Well I just do this and working great.

Simple batch with these:

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Applications\WMP10\WMP10.exe /q:A /c:"setup_wm.exe /Q /R:N DisallowSystemRestore"

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\NetFrameWork\NetFrameWork\netfx.msi /qb

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\NetFrameWork\NetFrameWorkSP1\NetFrameWorkSP1.exe /qb

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\HMTCDWIZ.EXE /quiet /norestart

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\KB884020.exe /quiet /norestart

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\KB885626.exe /quiet /norestart

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\KB885523.exe /quiet /norestart

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\KB885894.exe /quiet /norestart

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\KB834707.exe /quiet /norestart

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\KB885932.exe /quiet /norestart

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\KB883523.exe /quiet /norestart

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\KB886677.exe /quiet /norestart

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\KB888240.exe /quiet /norestart

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\KB887742.exe /quiet /norestart

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\KB873339.exe /quiet /norestart

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\KB885835.exe /quiet /norestart

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\KB885836.exe /quiet /norestart

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\KB886185.exe /quiet /norestart

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\KB887797.exe /quiet /norestart

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\KB889858.exe /quiet /norestart

Note: This hotfix is for windows media player 10 only. It updates it to build 3653. So make sure you install after install windows media player 10 or you will have the older build 3646.

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\KB885222.exe /quiet /norestart

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\scripten.exe /Q

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\msxml4sp2.exe

"Microsoft Windows Journal Viewer.msi" /quiet /norestart

msrdpcli.msi /quiet /norestart

doomcln.exe /S

All are silent install and require no user input or anything.

Then when done it just restarts and computer is ready to go.

I have done a unattended install and an update cd. Working great.

war59312,

How about the Microsoft GDI+ Detection Tool, Windows Journal Viewer, Remote Desktop Client 5.2.3790.0, and the KB836528 - Mydoom, Zindos, And Doomjuice Worm Removal Tool? If you have ideas on these tools, we would appreciate any help you can give on figuring out how to make them silent.

--Leviathan

Microsoft GDI+ Detection Tool:

Extract gdidettool.exe with winrar and in batch run:

Not sure but the default command is:

msiutil2.exe /cif gdidet.cif /extended gdidet.xml /log

Have not figured out how to make it so u don't have to do anything.

Really though u don't even need this with unattended install. Kinda pointless. Since on a new standard install nothing is vulnerable to the GDI+ Graphics Component security vulnerability.

Windows Journal Viewer:

Extract setup.exe using winrar to a new folder and in batch file run:

"Microsoft Windows Journal Viewer.msi" /quiet /norestart

Remote Desktop Client 5.2.3790.0:

Etract msrdpcli.exe with winrar to new folder. Then in batch file run:

msrdpcli.msi /quiet /norestart

KB836528:

Well at first you get DoomCln-KB836528-v4-ENU.exe and extract it with winrar and you will get doomcln.exe.

Then in your install batch file u do:

doomcln.exe /S

No need to do this either really since your clean!

Now with everything I have done above. Just that.

Only thing on windows update is windows media player 10 and .net 1.1

And if u want to install them in batch file you do so like this:

Windows Media Player 10:

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Applications\WMP10\WMP10.exe /q:A /c:"setup_wm.exe /Q /R:N DisallowSystemRestore"

Then install the latest hotfix for windows media player 10, which atm is KB889858:

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\KB889858.exe /quiet /norestart

Note: This hotfix is for windows media player 10 only. It updates it to build 3653. So make sure you install after install windows media player 10 or you will have the older build 3646.

You can download the hotfix here:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/7/3...858-x86-enu.exe

Also, I have attached my registry file I use for windows media player 10.

Skin mode, mp3 hack, no calling home, etc.

Note: Only for WMP 10. Do not use with 9.0!

.NET FrameWork 1.1:

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\NetFrameWork\NetFrameWork\netfx.msi /qb

or

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\NetFrameWork\NetFrameWork\netfx.msi /quiet /norestart

Note: I prefer first method just so I see how much time it takes. lol But second one will be completely silent which is how everything else is. :)

.NET FrameWork 1.1 SP1:

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\NetFrameWork\NetFrameWorkSP1\NetFrameWorkSP1.exe /qb

Of course all our silent. :)

Well now since u did that then Update for Windows Media Connect appears on windows update.

Windows Media Connect:

So extract wmcsetup.exe with winrar to a new folder. And in your batch file run:

WinRMSrv.msi /quiet /norestart

Now giving windows update a quick visit and your computer is completed updated with zero updates on windows update. :)

Whoops attached wrong WMP. That was for the older build of WMP 10.0. This one is for the newest build, 3653.

Srry about that.

WindowsMediaPlayer.ZIP