XP: to use or not to use

Ven

I would still recommend XP over any other PC based OS.

XP is more stable than any of the Win9x versions, and provides a little bit more user friendly-ness than Win2000.

Also, most programs nowadays are produced for XP (such as PhotoShop or Paint Shop Pro, one of which I'm assuming that you're using).

Just make sure that you have the system updated and running (at the very least) a good anti-virus program when you do connect to the internet.

Cheers!

Zxian, thanks for the advice, it's much appreciated. I agree with you about XP - I run a much nLited version of XP (no Internet Explorer, no Outlook Express, no Windows Media Player etc.) and it's running like a dream. I was contemplating migrating to Linux, as I found there were many features of XP which I didn't use but then I discovered nLite and now I have two different versions of Linux languishing in the bottom of my desk drawer - who needs Linux when you can have an nLitened XP.

One of the consequences of not having the three apps. I mentioned is that I need to use Daisy 2.2 or get my updates and security fixes from the Download Centre, manually, but as most of the security fixes are, usually but not always, for the three apps. I don't generally need to accept many fixes. As I stated in a previous post, I'm an "Oldie" (well, I'm middle aged really) so I'm a bit more cautious and, even though I don't stray from a well beaten path when I'm online, I have, still, taken the precaution of surrounding myself with the metaphorical "Ring of Steel" by way of a subscription AV, Sygate Personal Firewall (configured to allow nothing out apart from security apps. to be updated plus Firefox and Thunderbird) and several anti-spyware apps. which include Giant, Adaware and Spybot. I believe that the individual is, or should be, responsible for the security of their own Computer on, or off, the Internet - remember that your virus today is somebody elses tomorrow. There are probably many who disagree with me but that's how I feel about it and I'm not about to change and, before anyone writes in to tell me that Free AVs are just as good as subscription ones, let me tell you that the only times I've had a virus it was with a free AV (AVG, not once but twice in one month) that's what prompted me to invest in a paid-for AV (NOD32).

Cheers and A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU ALL. :hello:

I prefer 98 SE out of all the Windows OS's and it runs like a dream on my Athlon 64 3400+ 1 GB RAM PC.

98 SE is a bit old but with all of the updates written for it is quite stable. The unofficial SP 2.0b2 does a great job. Almost all hardware works with 98 - digital cameras, scanners, printers, USB drives, etc. Certain Creative Labs sound cards are about the only hardware that doesn't support it.

Also, 98 SE is very secure - the only bug I've been hit with is when IE got hijacked by Java scripts (now I use Firefox).

XP, on the other hand is bloated, security holes are being discovered there almost every day, and it is sluggish with dozens of services running constantly. XP is also more expensive and has Draconian licensing. Also, I often see bugs in XP - for example:

1. After pressing Ctl-Alt-Del and then clicking to Lock the computer, the windows will all disappear and there's no way to recover.

2. Random files frequently become locked for no apparent reason, requiring a reboot to fix.

3. I've seen XP produce badly corrupt partitions for no apparant reason, requiring a reinstall to fix.

I prefer 98 SE out of all the Windows OS's and it runs like a dream on my Athlon 64 3400+ 1 GB RAM PC.

98 SE is a bit old but with all of the updates written for it is quite stable. The unofficial SP 2.0b2 does a great job. Almost all hardware works with 98 - digital cameras, scanners, printers, USB drives, etc. Certain Creative Labs sound cards are about the only hardware that doesn't support it.

Also, 98 SE is very secure - the only bug I've been hit with is when IE got hijacked by Java scripts (now I use Firefox).

XP, on the other hand is bloated, security holes are being discovered there almost every day, and it is sluggish with dozens of services running constantly. XP is also more expensive and has Draconian licensing. Also, I often see bugs in XP - for example:

1. After pressing Ctl-Alt-Del and then clicking to Lock the computer, the windows will all disappear and there's no way to recover.

2. Random files frequently become locked for no apparent reason, requiring a reboot to fix.

3. I've seen XP produce badly corrupt partitions for no apparant reason, requiring a reinstall to fix.

I have installed over 3000 XP PCs in my life, and I have NEVER had any of the issues you listed... And if you want to believe any PC is secure you are insance. An OS by itself is never enough. You should always have a hardware firewall and virus protection. And without the proper knowledge, even some of the most secure PCs can still be hijacked. I suggest you wake up to the new age... stop wasting such a machine (A64 3200, 1GB RAM) on 98SE. I have an Athlon XP 1900 with 1GB of RAM and XP runs beautifully on my machine.

i wounder what people think of windows XP and how they decide weather to use it or not
Pardon me the smiles..... but it is 3 years since XP was released - and is not even something I think about anymore. (linux is a different matter, but) If its windows, its got to be XP - nothing else is good enough - in fact, XP itself is getting a bit long in the tooth now (which SP2 mitigated to a large extent).

* moving topic

That's not sad. Everyone has different preferences. I'm mainly into video enhancing, editing and encoding, but I LOVE having a slim, clean Windows. That's why I use nLite. nLitr turns Windows into a "not so much of a command line" Linux. My WINDOWS folder filesize is 288 MBs. :thumbup

Anyway, I also use it to play music throughout each day of my not very social life. I do essays and stuff on it too. That's about it.

I use xp because it's stable, fast and compatible with the latest software.

I have a PIII 800 512MB RAM PC and the system starts in less then 20 secs after pressing power button, and i use NAV2005 :yes: .

The PC is on for several days before reboot, meanwhile downloading, playing warcraft3, editing video, and of course browsing the web, and it doesn't crash. This was impossible to achieve on win98se. The blue screen appeared only after 12-24 hours of constant use. :angry::angry:

Besides all new programs are made basicly for xp. :blink: