Winnt.sif config

I added the line Autopartition=1 under [data] and under [unattended] i added Filesystem= convertNTFS but when I start the installations, it still ask me what partition i was to install on (there is only 1) and what type of fromat i want to do...

Try these settings. They are the ones I use when testing on my VPCs.

[Data]
   AutoPartition=1

[Unattended]
   Repartition=Yes

You can leave out the Filesystem setting because the Repartition setting defaults to NTFS.

Repartition

Specifies whether to delete all partitions on the first drive of the client computer and to reformat the drive with the NTFS file system.

The only down side to this is that all data on the drive will be lost. If you don't want your drive to be repartitioned into a single large NTFS partition, you can try setting Repartition=No and leaving your current settings intact. I've never had a need to try this method, so I can't say for sure whether or not it will work.

@Astalavista

where do you think i've been looking in the first place...:) and it doesnt tell me why it isnt working.

@Cartoonite

I cant do repartition=yes because i have data on my other partition( On my real PC). As for testing it on my VMware, there is only 1 partition so repartition will work.

I use VPC, not VMWare, but I think most of the principles applied are similar. Is the drive you are using for you virtual machine already partitioned? I know default harddrive images in VPC are not, so AutoPartition alone won't be enough to automate the install. Try partitioning the virtual drive with Partition Magic (or something similar) and then running the uA again.

I'm not sure, sorry. I've never used that particular setting. Just know that my VPC uA installs weren't 100% uA until after I added the Repartition string.

One other thing, AutoPartition won't install Windows to a partition that already has a Windows version installed on it. So if you're using your CD for re-installs, you will have to reformat the partition yourself beforehand.

AutoPartition

Installs Windows to the first available partition that has adequate space for a Windows installation and does not already contain an installed version of Windows.

Just something to keep in mind.

Good luck, and please post back the results of the partitioning test. :)

Well im installing from my iso that i made with Nlite. I will add repartition line to my winnt file and test it in my VMware...I always create a new VR Machine in VMware when i test my iso so im guessing that the drive it create's is unformated.

@Astalavista

where do you think i've been looking in the first place...smile.gif and it doesnt tell me why it isnt working.

@Cartoonite

I cant do repartition=yes because i have data on my other partition( On my real PC). As for testing it on my VMware, there is only 1 partition so repartition will work.

ahh... u didn't say u where using VM.

From the ref.chm

AutoPArtition

Installs Windows to the first available partition that has adequate space for a Windows installation and does not already contain an installed version of Windows.

I think you want Repartion under Unattended

Specifies whether to delete all partitions on the first drive of the client computer and to reformat the drive with the NTFS file system.

At least thats what worked for me

:hello: Hi to everybody!!!

I'm a Greek B) new member to your community and have some questions about the unattended XP cd which i decided to write here as this is a very close topic to what i'd like to ask.

Well, i have two disks (30 and 120GB)

The first is divided in 3 partitions (6 GB for winXP, 4 GB for winME and 20 for misc.)

The second one is divided in 2 parts (80 for movies and 40 for games)

I have configured my system to be dual boot with Bootmagic 8. I guess that the second drive (120 GB) doesn't play that much a role in the whole operation, right?

Now, i want help for writing my winnt.sif file, as i would like the setup to automatically format the partition with Windows XP installed and set up windows XP SP2 there.

With the common options it will format the first drive without an OS, ok? (but that's my precious misc. :unsure: ) So, what should i do?

1) Every time i want to reinstall windows xp format the partition and then normally install windows with my UA CD or

2) are there proper entries i should enter in winnt.sif? For this solution i believe that i would first have to set the windows xp partition active and then restart with "boot from CD" enabled.

I look forward to your answers as i would like to test my CD... TU

:hello: Hi Tetix, welcome to MSFN.

For your particular situation I would recommend not automating the partition selection of your setup. Manually selecting your desired installation partition and file system will ensure that mistakes such as forgetting to reformat the destination partition before starting the installation do not cause any significant problems. This is the method I plan on using for my own uA CD. It means, of course, that the installation will not be 100% unattended from start to finish but, in my opinion, the trade-off is worth it.

@saitoh183

Did formatting your virtual hdd before running setup clear up your issue?

I am new here also, but I put the following in my winnt.sif file:

AutoPartition=1

Repartition=no

In testing with a VM I got the following results:

When 0 or 1 partitions exist - it formats the entire drive as NTFS and installs

When 2 partitions exist it formats and installs on the first partition (both partitions were blank) and keeps the 2nd partition intact

When an OS was installed on partition 1 - it comes up to the partition selection screen and you must choose to overwrite the existing windows install. (if you select the first partition, it keeps the second one intact)

To make it work properly you have to manually format the first partition.

Is there any way to "script" that in the unattended isntall?

Now it is 99% unattended when an OS is present.....

Haven't tried it with an OS on each partition.....

Haven't tried it with an OS on the Second partition only.....

Any help/comments/suggestions would be appreciated