"Press any key to boot from disk"

Isaiah

Hi,

I am working on a boot disk and I want it to act similar to the Windows XP CD, in that it prompt the user to press a key to boot from the disk if no key is pressed then boot from the hard drive.

I have searched the internet and I have found Bart - jo.sys but I could not get it to work. Also, I have heard something about bootfix.bin but I am not sure where to go with that.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Isaiah

Bootfix.bin is the file you have to remove if you don't want setup to ask:

Press any key to boot from CD...

What you are asking is the opposite. I would recommend you use EasyBoot because it has the ability to build a boot menu but also to add a timer function so if nothing is done (no mouse movement, or keystroke) it will automaticaly go to the option you have defined (mostly used to continue the boot sequence to the hard drive...)

You can get a trial version on the website http://www.ezbsystems.com

I don't know where you could insert this one without going for a third party utility...

the relationship of the boot sequence is the following in Microsoft products:

boot.bin - setupldr.bin - bootfix.bin

When we are working our Multiboot CD, we have to HEX EDIT the boot.bin and setupldr.bin because we are changing the folder structure (change i386 to XPEN for example...)

Easy boot is massively easy to use. If you read the sticky for the multiboot section, and goto flyakite's site, you'll notice he already has an easyboot script made. Take that, and modify it to suit your needs.

Bootfix.bin is the file you have to remove if you don't want setup to ask:

Press any key to boot from CD...

So, if removing bootfix.bin prevents the system to ask, why not just leave the file where it is?

As Isaiah doesn't seem to want a multiboot (otherwise he would already have some sort of bootmenu), it sould be possible to just leave bootfix.bin...

Easy boot is massively easy to use.  If you read the sticky for the multiboot section, and goto flyakite's site, you'll notice he already has an easyboot script made.  Take that, and modify it to suit your needs.
ahemmm.... EasyBoot does not use scripts, and it is not the one that flyakite's guide uses.

flyakite's guide in fact refers to CDshell.

would it be possible to edit the Microsoft boot image to load DOS? That way it would be able to execute the bootfix.bin part.
No, not possible.

As suggested above, using a multoi-boot loader is the way to go.