WinPE Using Static IP Address

Bmf

Hello, I'm new to all this. I'm trying to use WinPE to deploy unattended setup of Windows 2000 Server on HP Proliant Systems which has 2 NIC's.

I've made a custom WinPE CD using the documentation provided with HP Scripting Toolkit. Everything goes fine, but i cannot change the TCP/IP settings. We use VLAN's and the "Server VLAN" where i'm trying to install Windows 2000 Server does not support DHCP. So when i use WinPE i get APIPA assigned ip address on both NIC's. How can i change it to an static IP address and can i use WINS or DNS?

Can i configure both NIC's with different settings?

Thank you

In winpe 2004 you can define an IP address in the winbom.ini file I believe it is in the help file.

Ah here is the entry in the Winbom.ini

[WinPE.net]Gateway=192.168.1.1

Ipconfig=192.168.1.250

StartNet=Yes

Subnetmask=255.255.255.0

Also check out the OEM Newsgroups in the Pinned post about your dual nics, I think I saw one there..

"Helpful links for WinPe from MS"

HTH

I've made a custom WinPE CD using the documentation provided with HP Scripting Toolkit. Everything goes fine, but i cannot change the TCP/IP settings. We use VLAN's and the "Server VLAN" where i'm trying to install Windows 2000 Server does not support DHCP. So when i use WinPE i get APIPA assigned ip address on both NIC's. How can i change it to an static IP address and can i use WINS or DNS?

Can i configure both NIC's with different settings?

You can but why would you want to?

Trust me.. Only deal with one adapter. I build servers with anywhere from 1 to 6 Nics. It's not fun. If i recall in the unattend settings, you can only assign one nic a static address. Maybe that has changed with 2003. But if this is an HP machine, most likely you will be teaming the nics for redundancy?

Let the second nic fall to DCHP. it does not matter. Set it properly in the OS after it's installed.

Chris

Thanks Chris for your thoughts on this.. I think you have a point there about configuring dual/multiple nics in unattended setups. But what i'm trying to do is creating a WinPE boot CD which starts an unattended network setup.

I managed to get TCP/IP working with a static ip address (in WinPE) but name resolution still doesn't work. Seems that DNS/WINS are only supported with DHCP. Anyway, i searched the forum for other options till i crossed the utility PENETFCG. With this you can manually set all IP options including DNS/WINS.

BMF

Seems that DNS/WINS are only supported with DHCP. .

Not True. I deal mostly in teh static IP world. Only my testing segment is DHCP so I can test faster.

Basically, my PE cd runs a script that attempts the Gateway of the DHCP address it gets. If it fails, I toss up the configurator ( API call tothe standard Windows IP config Screens) which allows the User to set a IP Address.

ALL rules apply. IP, Gateway, Subnetmask and at least one DNS and oneWINS setting. All works fine.

PE NETCONFIG is also a Good tool to use. Does the job and then some.

Chris