Windows Automatic Update....

durex

So I did a ton of work last night on my runonceex and my regtweak files last nite... I was in the middle of it, so I simply left them open.

I woke up this morning... turned on my PC and to my surprise, everything was closed down.. I finally realized that my PC rebooted last night.. right at 3:00am, when I have my Windows Automatic updates download and install.... and silly me didnt bother save at all causing me to loose all of the work I did last night..

Is there anyway that you can keep the option of auto download and install, but NOT automatically reboot??

not too happy.

Thanks.

Yea.. the only options you have is 'Auto Download and Install', 'Download and let me know and Ill install manually' and 'dont download or install, just let me know there are updates available' (obviously not direct quotes, but you get the idea)

Wasnt sure if there was an additional flag that could be used so it wouldnt reboot after it installs. In the meantime Ill just download and not install.

• 4 weeks later...

Found the solution!

Add the following reg key for SP2:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update]
"NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers"=dword:00000001

So for example, to automatically download and install Windows updates everyday at 3am, but not restart if a user is logged on

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update]
"AUOptions"=dword:00000002
"ScheduledInstallDay"=dword:00000000
"ScheduledInstallTime"=dword:00000003
"NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers"=dword:00000001

For SP1 and earlier use the same key but add it to the following hive:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU

You can find more info here!

:realmad: Nearly the same thing happened to me too yesterday. I was using the bathroom at 3am (default time to update) when I heard ny comp talking (I have a sexy girls voice say Hi and Bye on boot) and thot WTH? looked at it just in time to see it disconnect almost a dozen peeps from my filesharing proggy and do a reboot!!! Talk about mad! I got major issues with sp2 it makes all sorts of havoc in my box, I tried it 3 times and each time was a diasaster.... Thats why Im here now, looking for a bit of info to build another instaler with a few extras in it.

*posted a heads up in the nLite aera regarding this... didnt see this thread. Sorry :blushing:

Btw, my options were greyed out. couldnt change it back to manual.... its locked on auto destruct so its reformat time. Baaahhhh.... half of my games are awol and my old comp is limping along... poor thing.

*** I'm turning my dog lose in Mr. Gates yard daily from now on to help "fertalize" it as it's a bit dodgy looking..... :thumbup

i had 2 issues with sp2,it was fine,didn't boot into it for several wks then all of a sudden when it logs me in it logs me out,i could have done a repair but figured i'd give my xpsp1 the space since it gives no troubles at all,and i couldn't run nfs underground on xpsp2