mdac problem!

Woomera

i just installed a new sofware and when i try to run the software it says that there is a problem with the mdac and i need to repair/reinstall the mdac.so i downloaded the mdac 2.8 from microsoft.com and when i try to install it i get this error:

MDAC 2.8 RTM is incompatible with this version of Windows. All of its features are currently part of Windows.

I'm not sure what has happened, but I suspect that you may need to rename the current mdac files, and reboot, so they are not loaded at the time of a reinstall.

It's been several years since I've done this type of custom app support, but I've seen quite a bit, and an OS reinstall isn't required. Just the ability, to unload or overwrite certain files during upgrades.

I hope this isn't to late, been busy as of late. but you need to get the appropriate mdac for your os, ypu might nedd 2.7 or earlier. There was always problems with this when uninstalling Corel soft. The thing is if you have any type of service pack installed you'll need ia slipstreamed disk to get the thing to work , installing isn't enough. below is the method used to reinstall themdacI don't have the kb article number but here is the pertinant info:

RESOLUTION

To resolve this problem, replace the missing subkeys. To do this, use one of the following methods.

Method 1: Reset the Registry Keys by Using Mdac.inf

Use the Mdac.inf file to reset the registry keys. This program may prompt you for your Windows CD to obtain new files. Use one of the following methods, depending on how your operating system was installed and whether you have the CD.

For Microsoft Windows 98, Windows Millennium Edition, or the Retail Editions of Windows 2000 and Windows XP

Click Start, click Run, type path\inf in the Open box, where path is the path to your Windows folder, and then click OK.

For example, type c:\windows\inf or c:\winnt\inf. By default, C:\Windows is the folder in which Windows 98, Windows Millennium Edition, and Windows XP is installed. By default, C:\Winnt is the folder in which Windows 2000 is installed and the folder in which Windows XP is installed if you upgraded Windows 2000 to Windows XP.

On the Tools menu, click Folder Options, and then click the View tab.

In the Advanced Settings box, click Show hidden files and folders, and then click OK.

Right-click Mdac.inf (for Windows 2000 or Windows XP) or Mdacinst.inf for (Windows 98 or Windows Millennium Edition), and then click Install.

If you are prompted for your Windows CD, insert the Windows CD in the CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive.

Locate the I386 folder on your hard disk (typically, C:\I386), click it, and then click OK.

NOTE: If the I386 folder is a subfolder of the Windows folder, on some computers, you cannot select it. In this case, type the full path in the Copy files from box (for example, type c:\windows\i386 or c:\winnt\i386), and then click OK.

Restart the computer.

For Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) Editions of Windows 2000 or Windows XP

WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

Locate the I386 folder on your hard disk, and then make a note of its path.

Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.

In Registry Editor, locate and then click the following subkey:

HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

Right-click the Installation Sources entry, and then click Modify.

In the Value data box, change the value to the path of the I386 folder on your hard disk, and then click OK.

Repeat steps 4 and 5 for each of the following entries:

SourcePath

ServicePackSourcePath

Quit Registry Editor.

Click Start, click Run, type c:\winnt\inf in the Open box, and then click OK.

On the Tools menu, click Folder Options, and then click the View tab.

In the Advanced Settings box, click Show hidden files and folders, and then click OK.

Right-click Mdac.inf, and then click Install.

If you are prompted for your Windows CD, insert the Windows CD in the CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive.

Locate the I386 folder on your hard disk (typically, C:\I386), click it, and then click OK.

NOTES:

If you do not have the CD for your current Windows installation, click Browse, and locate and select the I386 folder.

If the I386 folder is a subfolder of the Windows folder, on some computers, you cannot select it. In this case, type the full path in the Copy files from box (for example, type c:\windows\i386 or c:\winnt\i386), and then click OK.

Restart your computer.

Method 2: Download MDAC

Download and then install the latest version of MDAC that is appropriate for your operating system. To do this, follow these steps:

Visit the following Microsoft Web site:

Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) Download Page

Download the most recent version of MDAC that is appropriate for your operating system.

NOTE: If you do not know which version is most appropriate, download the Component Checker for information about which version of MDAC that you need. For additional information about the Component Checker, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

307255 INFO: Component Checker: Diagnose Problems and Reconfigure MDAC Installations

Method 3: Import the Registry Keys from Another Computer on the Network

NOTE: When you import the registry keys from another computer, make sure that the source computer and destination computer run the same operating system. For example, if you are using this method on a computer that is running Windows XP, locate a computer that runs Windows XP from which to export the registry keys.

WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

Part 1: Export the Subkeys from the "Source" Computer's Registry

On a computer that is not missing the subkeys (the "source" computer), click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.

Locate and then click the following subkey:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ODBC

On the File menu, click Export.

In the Save in box, specify a location in which to temporarily save the registration file (.reg file). In the File name box, type a file name, and then click Save.

Locate and then click the following subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC

Repeat steps 3 and 4 to export this subkey.

Part 2: Import the Subkeys to the "Destination" Computer's Registry

Copy the exported .reg files from the source computer to a temporary location on the computer that is missing the subkeys (the "destination" computer).

Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.

On the Registry menu, click Import Registry File.

Locate and then click one of the .reg files that you copied in step 1, and then click Open.

Repeat steps 3 and 4 for the other .reg file.

To see the original kb article, search: OFFXP: "Error 1919. Error Configuring ODBC Data Source"

installing the mdac.exe and then right clicking the mdac.inf (it's somewhere in the windows folder) and running install is enough to get it to work properly.