Truly unattended install

Hello everyone. I would like to start off by saying that I'm a newbie. Please do not insult me if my question seems simple. I have been attempting to do this for the last couple of days and have made considerable progress. The only problem that I'm having is the text based installation. It is not truly unattended. It asks me for partition size and file system. Here is an example of my winnt.sif file. Can any explain why it still ask for partition information if it's supposed to automatically set that up.

[Data]
AutoPartition = 1
MsDosInitiated = 0
UnattendedInstall = Yes

[Unattended]
UnattendMode = FullUnattended
UnattendSwitch = Yes
OemPreinstall = Yes
OemSkipEula = Yes
extendoempartition = 0
OemPnPDriversPath="%systemdrive%\drivers\0000;%systemdrive%\drivers\1000;%systemdrive%\drivers\1001;%systemdrive%\drivers\1002;%systemdrive%\drivers\1003;%systemdrive%\drivers\1004;%systemdrive%\drivers\2000;%systemdrive%\drivers\2001;%systemdrive%\drivers\4000"
FileSystem = *
WaitForReboot = No
TargetPath = "\Windows"
DriverSigningPolicy = Ignore
NonDriverSigningPolicy = Ignore
Hibernation = No

[SystemFileProtection]
SFCQuota = 0

[GuiUnattended]
EncryptedAdminPassword = No
AdminPassword = *
AutoLogon = Yes
TimeZone = 35
OEMSkipRegional = 1
OemSkipWelcome = 1

[UserData]
ProductKey = "XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX"
ComputerName = "MONDESIR"
FullName = "Superman"
OrgName = "Justice League"

[RegionalSettings]
Language = 0409

[Identification]
JoinWorkgroup = "None"

[GuiRunOnce]
%systemdrive%\install\start.cmd

First off, if you could either truncate your OemPnPDriversPath line or manually wrap it around a few lines, it would make your post much easier to read. :)

As to your issue, it's a simple enough solution. I had the same problem with my test uA CD originally. You need to add

[Unattended]
   Repartition=Yes

to your WINNT.SIF file and delete

[Unattended]
FileSystem = *

I think your confusion, and mine, comes from the AutoPartition line in the [Data] section. This line does not, in fact, tell Setup to repartition the drive, but rather to install XP onto the first available partition with enough free space and no currently installed version of Windows. See ref.chm for details.

Repartion=Yes will delete all existing partitions on the first drive in the system and then repartition the entire thing into a single NTFS partition. If you are using an unpartitioned drive (which it sounds like you are), Setup will simply create a new partition of the maximum size.

Is there a way to tell Windows to make two partitions instead of just one (as done by "Repartition = Yes" - option) ?

And if it is possible can you specify the size of each partition (by percentage preferably) ?

I would like to thank you all for your support. It was just that simple. I have been testing this installation on VMware before using it on my school computer. Now this is truly an unattended install. One more question. What file system does XP default to. My guess would be NTFS but I cannot be sure.

@Masters and Jonic

Hey, you will see as you continue along this path, that having the setup to stop and ask you for partitioning details, really is the best option.

Your objective of specifying partitioning (multiple partitions, partition types, sizes) is possible to be done in an automated way, through diskpart scripts in WinPE - but it would just take up way too much time in testing WinPE. It would waste more of your time, than it helps to save.

So what's the verdict?

What you want, is possible through winpe. But its not worth wasting time on, unless you have to deploy a Windows OS onto hundreds of PCs.

XP setup defaults to NTFS formatting (quick).

• 3 weeks later...

AutoPartiton doesn't work... and i don't know why.. can someone help me?

i always get the screen to chose the partition (i test under vmware)

the interessting part of my winnt.sif

[Data]AutoPartition=1

MsDosInitiated=0

UnattendedInstall=yes

AutomaticUpdates=yes

[unattended]

AutoActivate=no

UnattendMode=FullUnattended

UnattendSwitch=yes

OemPreinstall=yes

OemSkipEula=yes

WaitForReboot=no

TargetPath="\Windows"

DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore

nonDriverSigningPolicy=Ignore

Hibernation=yes

DUDisable=no

ProgramFilesDir=

CommonProgramFilesDir=

OemPnPDriversPath="driver\nForce_4.27;driver\3com\Disk1"

[systemRestore]

MaximumDataStorePercentOfDisk=5

[setupParams]

SkipMissingFiles=No

UserExecute="%systemroot%\temp\xplode2.cmd"

[setupData]

OsLoadOptions="/fastdetect /noguiboot"

[GuiUnattended]

AutoLogon=Yes

AutoLogonCount=1

AdminPassword=*

ProfilesDir="%systemdrive%\Accounts"

TimeZone=110

OEMSkipRegional=1

OemSkipWelcome=1

EncryptedAdminPassword=no

DetachedProgram=

Arguments=

ServerWelcome=no

______

Hi !

Since I am new to this I just want to add a my input to this matter.

I think I would be great to add Masters problem to the http://unattended.msfn.org/xp/winnt_sif.htm

Maybe in red so that readers would be aware that it formats the firstpartion and converts it to NTFS.

I have had the same problem as masters and I did not know the answear until I read Masters and your input.

Thank You !

:thumbup