Look what I found in LongHorn, Windows Memory Diag

Incroyable HULK

I was browsing on my LongHorn Alpha 4074 and I found this:

Before installing "Longhorn," you should remove virus-protection software. In addition, you might want to run the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool to test your computer's random access memory (RAM). To use the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool, follow the instructions at the Microsoft Web site.

Once you have downloaded the Windows Memory Diagnostic, you get a small .exe wich allow to create either an ISO file or write to a diskette.

The problem is that in both case you get a single file called windiag... that's it, the ISO and the diskette aren't bootable and there is no more information about how to launch them...

So I did a first test by using a MS-DOS 6 minimal bootable floppy and tried to launch the app without success...

Any idea? :blink:

You can add this to a multi-boot compilation by putting windiag in the i386 folder.

Choose to make a cd image and then use IsoBuster (or whatever you like) to extract the bootsector. (ex. WinDiag.dat) The bootsector will be standard size, 2k. Then just call the bootsector using your bootloading program.

This is a specialized bootsector. Unlike a standard xp,2000 bootsector making a call to 'i386'. This boot sector makes a call to windiag by using 'WINDIAGBOOTFIX.BINI386'

If you have an existing i386 folder at your CD root, Don't Worry! The windiag bootsector made in the ISO will only call windiag specifically and any other bootable creation using I386 at your CD root won't be troubled by it since windiag won't be loaded.

• 4 months later...

I added a memory card recently, and about a week later my computer crashed on boot-up. I discovered that the card was not seated properly, and that took care of the problem.

In the interm, it was suggested that I perform the windiag test Yet, as stated the ISO is not bootable, and I don't have the Ultimate Boot CD, don't have a bootsector extraction program.

I would like to run the ram test for interest sake, and wish to obtain the utilities necessary to do so. Any suggestions