NSC TPM Error

N1K

*sighz*.... my foray ended in (blue) flames. The SYSPREP went ok and the subsequent boot up in the T43 went ok. The system progressed to starting up until I just about got the entire Win2K screen (Start Menu, Desktop Icons, Tray Icons) and then went blue with error: Stop 0x7F (0x08 0x00 0x00 0x00) UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

By this time my HAL is already HALAACPI (because the T43 is ACPI Uniprocessor)...

Can anyone suggest anything else I can try. We really need to get this to work... Thanx!

I am having the same problem, just got in some T43's and will be getting in around 150 S51's soon and have no image for them. Can anyone confirm the fact that if you build the image from scratch on the laptop it will sysprep fine? Or is it any time sysprep is used? Thanks IBM! :realmad:

regarding the updateUPHAL line you placed in the sysprep.

The %systemdrive%, what does that need to refrence, or can I just leave it like that ? %systemdrive% ?

I ahve a multiprocessor machine that im building my image on and need to deploy it to uniprocessor machines, and this is the only way I know how to with updating the HAL.

any suggestions would be great. thanks !

Hey There...  I got this working a couple of weeks ago.  Here is what I did.

Do an unattend setup of Windows XP on you donor machine.

Change the HAL (the device listed under Computer in the Device Manager) to "Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI)".

Setup your SYSPREP directory as usual but in addition create a subfolder called "HAL".

EXPAND from your i386 source the following files unto the "HAL" directory:

hal.dll

hal.inf

halaacpi.dll

halacpi.dll

halapic.dll

halmacpi.dll

halmps.dll

halsp.dll

Add the following line into your SYSPRE.INF file under the [unattended] section:

UpdateUPHAL = "ACPIAPIC_UP,%SystemDrive%\Sysprep\Hal\Hal.inf"

Make sure that the NSC TPM driver files are included on your donor machine but in a directory that will not be accesed by Windows XP during it normal PnP device detection.  ie.  not in the OemPnPDriversPath= in your SYSPREP.INF file.

Create a batch file that will copy the NSC TPM drivers into on of the directories that you have listed in the OemPnPDriversPath= in your SYSPREP.INF file.  eg. OemPnPDriversPath=Drivers\TPM;.

Add a line in the SYSPREP.INF file under the [GuiRunOnce] section that will call this above created batch file.  eg. "c:\temp\copytpm.bat"

Run SYSPREP

Clone the donor machine  (Ghost, DriveImage, etc)

Try it on the S51

When the system first boots on the target machine SYSPREP will up the HAL to what is needed.  Then SYSPREP will copy the driver over so Windows PnP can install it. Windows may say something like it's finished installing new hardware and needs to reboot.  Reboot and you should be good to go.

The TCM chip in the S51 needs an "ACPI Uniprocessor PC" or "ACPI Multiprocessor PC" HAL on the machine.  If you don't have this HAL the driver will lock the system up bacause it will access an IRQ that is not available to it and Windows being Windows it locks up.

Hope this help and works for you.  We beat are heads on this for over a week and finally got this to work and it works great for us.

By the way,  I work for IBM and we are using IBM's ThinkVantage tool called ImageUltra Builder to automate the above process.

• 2 weeks later...

You leave it as %systemdrive% -- it's a variable that gets filled in at runtime.

regarding the updateUPHAL line you placed in the sysprep. 

The %systemdrive%, what does that need to refrence, or can I just leave it like that ? %systemdrive% ?

I ahve a multiprocessor machine that im building my image on and need to deploy it to uniprocessor machines, and this is the only way I know how to with updating the HAL. 

any suggestions would be great. thanks !

So I built a multiboot image and built a .NET application that launches on bootup to install network card, join the computer to the domain, install cisco vpn (must be done after sysprep -- garbage!), install other hardware drivers from network location, etc.

The problem I have is with IBM ThinkPad T43 which have the NSC TPM device. As mentioned, it needs and works fine as Uniprocessor PC. And I tried using the UPHal thing in sysprep - which works - but it changes the hal for the regular machines too. Is it supposed to always update the hal, or only if needed? As of right now I have one base image, but then I sysprep it 2 different ways (one with the hal up line, one without) and the person who's ghosting has to know whether the destination PC is a UPPC or a ACPIUPPC. Booting the image with the halup line in sysprep on a ACPIUPPC doesn't work -- it tries to update the hal and won't boot anymore. Anyway to get this working? Maybe my Hal.INF file is incorrect.... i just googled to find it -- nobody here gave directions on where to get it (and it's not in i386).

Thanks in advance.

• 3 weeks later...

Did you get your fixed?

I was having the same issue with a T43. I was able to work around it. I built an image from scratch(base image with drivers). This was to get HAL.dll. Put the image on the T43 and updated drivers from within safe mode. replaced the hal.dll and was on my way.

The information from the other postings helped me to get to this point. Thank you for your information.

I have tried to steps listed above to install the NSC TPM driver, but it still shows up as unknown device. If I update the driver via the hardware update wizard and point it to the nsctpmdd.inf it installs fine. I believe the HAL is updated because the donor machine was set to ACPI and the imaged machine is now set to ACPI Multiprocessor PC. I am using -mini -reseal -pnp when I sysprep the machine.

This is my sysprep.inf:

;SetupMgrTag

[unattended]

OemSkipEula=Yes

InstallFilesPath=C:\sysprep\i386

TargetPath=\WINDOWS

OEMPnPDriversPath = sysprep\Drivers\IBM\ThinkCentre\Audio\A;sysprep\Drivers\IBM\ThinkCentre\Audio\B;sysprep\Drivers\IBM\ThinkCentre\Network\Pro100;sysprep\Drivers\IBM\ThinkCentre\Network\Pro1000;sysprep\Drivers\IBM\ThinkCentre\Video\Video1;sysprep\Drivers\IBM\ThinkCentre\Video\Video2;Sysprep\Drivers\IBM\ThinkCentre\Network\Broadcom;Drivers\nsc_tpm

UpdateInstalledDrivers = Yes

UpdateUPHAL = "ACPIAPIC_UP,%SystemDrive%\Sysprep\Hal\Hal.inf"

[sysprep]

BuildMassStorageSection = Yes

[sysprepmassstorage]

[GuiUnattended]

AdminPassword=*

EncryptedAdminPassword=No

OEMSkipRegional=1

OEMDuplicatorstring="XPSP2 Base Image"

TimeZone=20

OemSkipWelcome=1

[userData]

ProductKey=xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx

FullName="Company Name"

OrgName="Company Name"

ComputerName=*

[TapiLocation]

CountryCode=1

Dialing=Tone

AreaCode=816

LongDistanceAccess="9"

[Networking]

InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

[Display]

BitsPerPel=32

Xresolution=1024

YResolution=768

Vrefresh=75

[branding]

BrandIEUsingUnattended=Yes

[Proxy]

Proxy_Enable=0

Use_Same_Proxy=0

[identification]

JoinWorkgroup=XXX

[GuiRunOnce]

"c:\temp\copytpm.bat"

This is my copytpm.bat:

@echo off

xcopy c:\temp\nsc_tpm\*.* c:\drivers\nsc_tpm /S /C /Y /I

I have verified that the drivers do get copied from c:\temp\nsc_tpm to c:\drivers\nsc_tpm.

It seems like the machine can't find the driver during the PnP setup. Any ideas? Our next batch of machines will need this driver so I need to get it working asap. Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Hi jrk7352

I have the same issue as you, in that I've updated the HAL fine and I've used the steps listed previously to install the NSC TPM driver, but it still shows up as unknown device.

If I update the driver via the hardware update wizard and point it to the nsctpmdd.inf it installs fine. This is due to the updated HAL (ACPI Multiprocessor).

Did you get anywhere nearer resolving the issue??

Hate to say it, but this is one of those situations where you would be better served using something like RIS to install these machines, rather than sysprep/imaging. Just my .02 (I have also run into this problem when imaging an IBM Thinkpad from an image that originally had a different HAL). Since we were moving to RIS anyway, I didn't bother to troubleshoot it.

• 2 years later...