WinPE 2005 (Win2k3 SP1 OPK) First Impressions

TWiST

I have just recieved my WinPE 2005 OPK cd its the new WinPE for windows server 2003 sp1, the build I recieved was for the RC 1289. Upon checking the docs before I even dig any deeper Im greeted with these new features.

New Features in the OEM Preinstallation Kit (OPK)You can configure Data Execution Prevention (DEP) by modifying the Boot.ini file or by using Unattend.txt. DEP is the no-execute page-protection (NX) processor feature. DEP can help protect against some kinds of buffer overrun and exception handling exploits. For more information, see Customizing Data Execution Prevention (DEP).

You are no longer required to install Step-by-Step Interactive (SBSI).

Changes to the Windows Preinstallation Environment Version 2005

You can boot Windows PE from USB flash devices (UFD). Use the FormatUFD comand-line tool to format the UFD. For more information, see Booting Windows PE from a USB Flash Device and FormatUFD Command-Line Options.

For more information, see New Features in Windows PE.

Changes to Answer Files

For information about what is new in Unattend.txt, Sysprep.inf, Oobeinfo.ini, and the Windows Welcome APIs, see Changes in Answer Files and Changes in Windows Welcome Files.

Now these new features are cool, the only one which really intrests myself is the boot from USB Flash Drive, but sadly ive been doing that for a while now allready, took MS long enough to catch up.

Now this is a far cry from what we were expecting a few months back when MS announced the new WinPE versions, I dunno if any of you remmeber but the WinPE 2004 was suppost to support all this stuff and then the WinPE 2005 was suppost to be what they were calling the Interim OPK, which added support for the new WIM image based deployment method (what Longhorn uses to install) The SMS Beta introduced some of the WIM tools but they were very specific to using the SMS to deploy them.

I dunno about the rest of you but im pretty dissapointed. Let me know what every1 else thinks and if anyone out there has played with this new verison yet.

2005 was the first version to support the RAM Disk boot (PXE boot) 2004 had that feature removed early last year while still in development.

I've been using 2005 about a month and a half now. The first beta's were buggy. But RC1 looks pretty good.

What people have to understand is that PE is not an OS for the everyday user. Granted people play and try to make it so... But it's intention was for OEM's and 3rd party product development. It was never ment to have a full suite of apps running under it. PE is a "Means to an end". Not a portable XP replacement.

The most common use of PE other than 3rd party Application developement is as a DOS replacement for OS deployment in corporate environments. Here is where you find the serious integrations of PE.

It;s not so much the Features of PE. But the functionality. You only get what is necessary to function under the guidelins of what PE was ment for anything else is a hack.

Chris

I've managed to get the Ramdisk booting working using remote boot service from XP embedded, and a PE created from the 2003 SP1 RC. One problem I have encountered is that diskpart does not run. I think this is something to do with the registry entries created as I'm using PE1.5 (XPSP2) to create it using the /nover switch against a 2003SP1 source. Anyone got any ideas where I'm going wrong with this? Even better, does anyone know where I can get hold of a copy of the WinPE 2005 OPK CD, or even how I can register on the beta program?

Thanks,

M

There are also some updates to the build process that didn't get mentioned -- for those of us who use WinPE on IA64 or x64 processors there are fixes that simplify -- you no longer need to maintain per-architecture build directories, MKIMG just pulls tools from the right places.

Much better.

Where did you hear/read that 2004 or 2005 would support WIM images, etc? I never saw any documentation that suggested that was planned.

Microsoft gave me PPT doc about 6 months ago that had the development tack of PE 2004 and 2005 (called PE 1.5 and 1.6 at that time).

Chris

Where did you hear/read that 2004 or 2005 would support WIM images, etc? I never saw any documentation that suggested that was planned.

Microsoft gave me PPT doc about 6 months ago that had the development tack of PE 2004 and 2005 (called PE 1.5 and 1.6 at that time).

Chris

I saw the same thing, I have not heard if that has fallen off to the wayside. But I remember it being a issue with the SP1 for SMS OSD, that being the failure to be able to edit WIM's.

• 3 weeks later...
Where are you getting PE 2005 RC1 from? I only have 2004 in my volume licensing cue.

Thanks

It is not released yet.

I am part of an OEM Beta.

I was talking to a MS PE developer yesterday and he mentioned that it will most likely go into RC2 and then RTM.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...