Duplicate name exists on the network!

GLO

Hi,

Each time i start my laptop, it gives me a "Windows System Error-duplicate name appears on the network".

Which occurs because i had my wifi card connected then i switched to use my 10/100 network card.

Any way to avoid this? It was never a problem before.

Its just annoying that the error shows, even thought its not really a problem.

Sounds like you are using DHCP. Try setting your DHCP server to expire the lease after 8 hours. That may help to get rid of the problem.

If you are using WINS you can tombstone the old record and delete it. Restart WINS and it should pick up the new information.

Check the Even log for further info on the error.

Are you using both the Wireless and Wired connections at the same time? If so, then I would assume that you are connecting to the same device wired and wireless, this would generate a duplicate name error on your network because your computer is connected to the same network twice with different nics and MAC addresses but the same computer name.

If you're on a large network and you've named your machine something generic, such as your name, it's likely that someone else has already taken that name.

Or, if it's just your home network, you may have named both your PCs the same thing, which you found out, doesn't work very well.

In either case, follow the steps posted above me by Astalavista and your problem should be fixed. :)

Tom

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"Duplicate name exists on the network!"

I had the same problem. Changing the computer name didnt necessarily worked for me. Go into properties of your network card. Click on Internet protocol TCP/IP and click properties and check the 'obtain ip address auotomatically' button.