Ideas for future service packs

nil

I figure the following ideas would suit being handled by Gape's Win98SE service packs in future and thought to mention them now if only to give Gape some idea as to how well they and other ideas like them might be received.

Windows uses the "favorites" directory to store internet shortcuts and, by default at least, also uses the "links" subdirectory for essentially the same purpose. What I do after any Windows install is to delete all internet shortcuts from "links" and instead populate it with Windows shortcuts to local folders (creating a clear distinction between the two, favorites being for the Internet Explorer, links for Windows Explorer). I then move the links toolbar to the right of the Explorer window so only the title is showing, ie. Links >>; clicking on the >> gives access to the shortcuts from a drop down menu. Many who's systems I've applied the above change to never used "links" at all in the past (one friend even thought it was a special feature reserved for advertising :huh:) but have since found it a very useful feature. (I don't know how to go about automating all that via a batch or inf file [without using third-party tools] - my current post-install batch file just copies pre-created shortcuts from my install partition to the links directory, and I haven't a clue how to activate/reposition the links toolbar via the registry so I just do that bit manually. Any help here for my personal use would be much appreciated.)

Some other simple changes that I typically apply which have been well received include moving 'Startup' from "...\start menu\programs\accessories" to the top of the 'Start Menu', along with a directory named 'Startup (disabled)' (to serve as a storage place for shortcuts to programs that the user might temporarily want to disable but keep on hand) and a shortcut 'Add-Remove Programs', and adding an 'Internet Options' shortcut to quicklaunch (on IE based systems).

All simple additions in theory. What's your thoughts.

What's messy, my post :w00t:

The idea on top is done with two lines of DOS code (when copying the shortcuts, and I imagine the moving part is a few lines of reg code) and the changes below require four lines of code. Messy? Typically "My Computer", "Desktop", "Temp", "Program Files", "Windows", "System", and "IE Cache" get linked (on other peoples systems, I have submenus happening myself), say an extra line for each or a small inf file. How do you gain quick access to those directories using explorer? Small work given the benefits gained, but like I said, just seeing what others think.

:boring: That's precisely why I started by saying that I thought the ideas "would suit being handled by Gape's Win98SE service packs". The suggestion was for Gape, who isn't cr@p at DOS, to consider to spending the very small amount of time that it'll no doubt take him to integrate that process into a service pack for those who like me would much prefer not to do it by hand each time they installed Win98SE (I generally install his service packs only at that time). It's exactly the same reason why I appreciate Gape's work with the service packs; I'm cr@p at sorting through the minefield I consider Windows98SE patching to be (especially when it comes to interpreting "only install this patch if you have x/y problem, otherwise don't" that confuses the patches issue - Gape has obviously done a fine job with the testing required,) and I'm way too lazy to go through that reboot/run SFC 50 plus times type cr@p that the manual method requires.

soldier1st, let's suppose you meant "thats alot of work" as an opinion rather than a point of fact (I wrote the batch file I use to do it with *once*, and in less time that it used to take me to create even those shortcuts I listed *every* time I installed my system) did you actually try the "just for that" bit out and have any meaningful comment about what you thought of the idea itself? Even if you didn't, hearing whether or not you actually use 'links', and if so how, is at least meaningful.

Does anyone do *any* of the actions I described manually? Are there similar types of procedures that are common to enough of us, and that most do manually now, that might warrant their consideration in a service pack. That's what I was prompting feedback on.

** edit ** I see you there soldier1st - greets! :)

Sheez, I *almost* squeezed an opinion out of both of you. :P And now I'm going to sound like I'm trying to sell my ideas rather than offer them.

The quicklaunch toolbar is on the taskbar, and, if you enable it (via a right click on explorer toolbar area), the links toolbar is on every open Explorer window. The specific suggestions weren't interchangable. Both in my opinion are *much* easier to use if you compact them (to get shortcut names).

With quicklaunch it'll leave you with a minimum of four icons on the toolbar and any more will show up, with text, on a popup menu accessed via when you click the >>. Typically it's used to launch programs - if you click on any folder shortcut you happen to put in quicklaunch it'll open a Windows Explorer window and no amount of clicking on anything but the next, previous, and parent gadgets will help you show different parts of your system in *that* Explorer window. Except shortcuts in the links toolbar (or folder shortcuts in the favorites menu). When you select a folder shortcut from the links toolbar that folder will be displayed in that Explorer window, not open up another. Unless you compact it you're left with what I reckon is an ugly, unweildy line of icons followed by text, or a set of same looking icons (whether url or folder lnk) that you have to hover over to see what they do, and that type of messing around WILL lessen it's appeal. But so far no-one seems to even *get it* much less use it, so there goes that idea. (I'm still no closer on how to automate the toolbar repositioning but just scored some info on how to create the shortcuts on the fly. So I'm a bit happier at least.)

soldier1st, I don't quite know what you mean about deleting then recreating 'links' but what do you put into the directory (url I'm guessing) and how do you access the contents (from where)

Re quickbar. Along with about thirty other shortcuts (including a few sub menus) I have a cascading control panel. Does anyone else do that? Regedit? DOSbox? DOSBox /Z?, Display Settings?, Device Manager?,... Many of those wouldn't appeal to others, I just thought the one I did mentioned might be a common choice and get the ball rolling for more ideas.

And zoem, honest I tried but I still can't find a way to make my posts look any prettier using my Quicklaunch bar. No need to duck buddy. :w00t:

i delete links from favorites menu,to prevent it from comming back i use tweakui,i make a folder say offline viewableUrls within favorites to organize them cuzz i have over 1000 urls,close to 2000 actualy

nil your posts are fine,if some1 don't like it there problem that is all

Windows uses the "favorites" directory to store internet shortcuts and, by default at least, also uses the "links" subdirectory for essentially the same purpose. What I do after any Windows install is to delete all internet shortcuts from "links" and instead populate it with Windows shortcuts to local folders (creating a clear distinction between the two, favorites being for the Internet Explorer, links for Windows Explorer). I then move the links toolbar to the right of the Explorer window so only the title is showing, ie. Links >>; clicking on the >> gives access to the shortcuts from a drop down menu. Many who's systems I've applied the above change to never used "links" at all in the past (one friend even thought it was a special feature reserved for advertising ) but have since found it a very useful feature. (I don't know how to go about automating all that via a batch or inf file [without using third-party tools]- my current post-install batch file just copies pre-created shortcuts from my install partition to the links directory, and I haven't a clue how to activate/reposition the links toolbar via the registry so I just do that bit manually. Any help here for my personal use would be much appreciated.)

can't all this be done using the win98batch program? or at least the creation or deletion of them. unless u are wanting to do it for a computer that has window already installed.

diesel_98a, sure it can all be done via 98batch or any time after an install (and I do, and do enough checks in my batch file to allow it to be done any time after install without problems on other people's systems), but your comments equally apply to a number of the (optional) additions and changes made by the service packs, most of which can be done manually.

An example of that is "DOS prompt here". I understand it's benefits for some and think its inclusion as an option is a great idea, especially for those who don't know how to manually modify the registry entry for themselves (or even know that it was possible). I personally use quite a few menu extensions and find "DOS prompt here" just adds to context menu clutter so I don't use it (I have a DOSBox shortcut in quicklaunch so just drag and drop folders when I need to, and the frequency of needing to doesn't outweigh the negatives of having it around on my system). It's for much the same reason that I'm glad the service packs no longer add "Copy To" and "Move To" on the context menus by default (they were also basically redundant on my system because I use the Microsoft Powertoy "Sent to Anyfolder").

I do appreciate all the comments and aren't bothered in the slightest if people don't like the ideas (** says nil wiping tears from his eyes ** :) ). I was interested in hearing what people thought of the ideas themselves, and of hearing about similar ideas that (simple as they might be) might enhance the usability of Windows98 in ways that might not be obvious to others. Any comments on that aspect?

Cut the crap boys,

A service pack is for security updates, system updates and system improvments and not for making something that you are too lazy to do it by yourself.

So pls no more stupid ideeas.

Something usefull to be added in this service pack would be the NTFS support.

:thumbup

A service pack is for security updates, system updates and system improvments

here! here!

This mite b stupid to ask but is a recently new discovery to me. but how many ppl know of windows 98's capability of viewing image files as thumbnails in folders? i hav recently discovered this was possible by checking "thumbnail view" in the folder's properties, and then opening the folder and clicking "view as thumnails" or whateva.

i didnt say ur post was messy, i sed ur IDEA sounded messy. ever seen an internet explorer browser opened and ppl hav like 2 or 3 additional toolbars in conjunction with a rearranged IE toolbar? its SCARY ok! ive lost count of the computers in the past i have fixed where ive had to use internet explorer and the browser looks unfriendly and uninviting. this is kinda how ur idea comes accross to me. im an advanced user n i hav no prob finding my way in IE, but not everyone has that ability..believe it or not.

personally i am serial SHIFT holderer when i click links on webpages so mulitple windows dusnt botha me. i hate to be steered away from a site i want to keep open so i open a new IE window (plz dnt start on firefox and tabs i beg of u..). afterall windows is a multitasking operating system. but wen it comes to using win95 it s***s me.

everyone has their own likes n dislikes. so if u find ur idea to b useful then use it. dont let us flame u for it. but sorry i cannot agree to liking it.

a simple idea that would be great to include would be to delete the MSN 5 Setup program on the dekstop as well as from program files and Online Services if found on the system after installation. seriously, its 2004 does anyone seriously need these?

I absolutely agree with most of your first two lines MasterT. I thought I was suggesting "system improvements". I'm not too lazy to do it myself, neither am I too lazy to fire up regedit and do many of the changes already done by the service pack, or to download and install an NTFS reader that I have no use for, or MSI 3.0 for that matter. Some might be, though its more a question of convenience not laziness. Thanks for your well thought out and friendly opinions though. :}

There, there, zoem, I was just having a dig about the messy part mate. I'm not suprised you found the idea messy - none of my ideas had *anything* at all to do with changing IE, it was WINDOWS explorer I was mentioning (not trying to have anyone agree with). I totally agree with the scary IE toolbars bit by the way. Your last suggestion was just the type of thing I was getting at. Cheers.