Hijacked Web page

smartie91

Hi

sorry if this is in the wrong Forum but couldnt decide where to put it

a friend of mine owns a craft shop and one of the parnters set up a web page for her they have now fallen out with each other and he has started his own craft shop under a differant name, but he has changed the old web page with spelling mistakes on it, he wont tell her the password so she can change it back

queston is she owns the company,he owns the Domain name what can she do as this makes her company web page look daft.

Regards Smartie

PS the web site is www.cresset-crafts.com have a look

They made a good job of that didn't they!

Who owns the hosting account the site is on, if it is your friend then I suggest she contacts the host and sees what they can do.

If the partner owns the hosting account I would suggest she gets legal advice. Perhaps the odd strongly worded solicitors letter would be enough for him to pass on the passwords. Perhaps approach the local paper with the story, won't do him any favours the bad advertising, and this may be enough for him to give in.

Problem is he owns the domain, so there is little you can do on that front.

This is a good example on the problems that can arise when informal arrangements go wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

The partner wasn't a yank was (s)he? - that would explain the spelling...

Seriously, (as I can be after that...) considering the costs of solicitors, it may be worth making a realistic offer on the domain / passwords - at least it would be money well spent - unlike solicitors....

Cheers,

10forcash

ps. lot of brits on here - Happy Christmas, wherever you may be ! especially fellow expats :D

i would suggest first trying to resolve it peacefully thru some mediator. Maybe offer some money as suggested. Other than that

- Get some legal threat, since that guy owns the domain but not company he has no business representing a company he doesnt own on his website

- purchase a different domain crcresset-crafts.net or cresset-crafts.org and advertise it in the shop

- backorder the domain at any of the domain regitering sites possibly the original one that was registered (http://domainhelp.tucows.com/). whenever a domain is up for renewal and there are more than one interested parties it goes up for auction.