Can't renew IP Address

myluvnttl

I have a couple of system that will not renew a address. It will stay at a 169.0.0.0. I try uninstall the driver, check for virus, and so on. Does Winsock has to do something with this? I have heard if you deleted that file and reboot, it will make new fresh copy of WinSock. The final result for me now is reinstall XP everytime this happen. Can someone help me out? Thanks-you in advance.

If i reinstall the XP it work.

Are you making any kind of hardware changes to the network before, during, or after the re-installation, or is the reinstall in and of itself enough to fix the issue?

Other things I thought of, in no particular order:

How many computers are on the network, and does the DHCP server have enough allocatable addresses for all of them?

Are you running a peer-to-peer or client/server network? If the latter, has the DHCP server somehow been set up to only assign addresses to PCs it can authenticate in AD? (I don't even know for sure whether or not this is possible, just something I thought of.)

I try that, and no luck, even reboot nor shut down and boot-up again.

When you tried ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew, did they generate any kind of error message? This would be a big help in trying to pinpoint the cause of the problem. I tried a couple of possible breaks, just to see what kind of response I would get.

With the adapter set to statically assign itself an APIPA (I have no idea how or why that could have happend) I got this:

C:\>ipconfig /release

Windows IP Configuration

The operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for
this operation.

C:\>ipconfig /renew

Windows IP Configuration

The operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for
this operation.

With no DHCP server available on the network I got this:

C:\>ipconfig /release

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
       IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
       Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

C:\>ipconfig /renew

Windows IP Configuration

An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.

Anyone know what, if any, error message would be generated if the DHCP server were out of addresses? It would save me quite a bit of time in setting up an environment to test it. :)

Just a few random thoughts from a relative newbie. Hopefully some of them will help, or at least spark thoughts of your own that will lead to the solution. Keep us posted. I know I, at least, am quite interested in knowing exactly what the issue is. ;)