WinPE 1.5 and Powerquest deploy centre

pauledavey

Chaps\chapesses,

I have the latest version of Winpe from Microsoft and deploycentre library from the now sold powerquest.

there is a winpe imaging tool in powerquest called PQIDeploy. I have put this in to winpe and created some scripts and all looks good.

The strange thing is that it seems to take longer to image the 1st hd to the 2nd hd or from the hd to a network drive, than it did using the old version of pQIDeploy which ran in DOS!!! I thought the winpe version would be quicker as it has teh 32bit drivers loaded for disk access..

Has anyone else got any idea's on how to speed this up a bit, or has anyone else seen this at all?

Many thanks in advance,

Paul

:w00t:

Do the images your creating under WinPE have a higher compression level than what you used before? If you can track down ImageCenter32, its a WinPE GUI for PQIDeploy.exe that was created by a guy at PowerQuest and can help you make sure your command line is ok. I know that for me imaging over the network was slower in DOS because of the network drivers. Seems to go faster in WinPE but maybe thats just me.

Cheers

Jotnar,

Thanks for the reply.

The compression is the same as I used before. The network driver on this machine is the driver from HP, added in to the WinPE distribution using the drvinst.exe tool (broadcom 10/100 adaptor in an HP DC7100\HP DC530)

Do you know where I can get the GUI you speak of, as Powerquest have now been bought by Symantec, it is very hard to get anything out of them.

The scripts are pretty boring and are lifted straight out of the menu. SO for instance, we have an image on one partition for restore purposes and then a restore script which is along the lines of

select partition 2

delete

select freespace first

restore

All of the scripts are lifted from examples that come in the manual with Deploycentre Toolkit.

P

The strange thing is that it seems to take longer to image the 1st hd to the 2nd hd or from the hd to a network drive, than it did using the old version of pQIDeploy which ran in DOS!!! I thought the winpe version would be quicker as it has teh 32bit drivers loaded for disk access..

Has anyone else got any idea's on how to speed this up a bit, or has anyone else seen this at all?

Many thanks in advance,

Paul

:w00t:

Network speed.

Make sure your network speed is set properly. Auto settings can sometimes increase the imaging tims.

Chris

but can't effect disk to disk speed though!  :D

Coul be the re-size option.

If the partitoin you are restoring to is not exactly the same size.. It will re-size. That increases the time.

Here are 2 of my scripts...

// NON Destructive Mode - Unattend Build

// RE-INSTALLS OS WITHOUT TOUCHING DATA ON OTHER DRIVES

select drive 1

select Partition %ActivePartition% + 1

delete

select freespace first

create /fS=FAT32 /LABEL="SYSTEM"

select partition "SYSTEM"

Set Active

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

// NON Destructive Mode - IMAGE Build

// RE-INSTALLS OS WITHOUT TOUCHING DATA ON OTHER DRIVES

select drive 1

select Partition %ActivePartition% + 1

delete

select freespace first

// Restore Options

SET IMAGE FILENAME %Image%

SELECT IMAGE ALL

RESIZE IMAGE MAX

RESTORE

Chris

The same image is quicker to restore in dos rather than winpe

Don't have an answer for ya there.

Thats not typically what people see.

WinPE is a 32 bit OS. Are you using the 32 bit version of PQIDEPLOY (win version)?

You don't want to be using the 16 bit ver in PE.

The latest Ghost suite can restore PQI files.

Chris

From my experience so far:

1. Ghost32 and PQIDeploy in WinPE image faster than in DOS over the network, but slower disk to disk.

2. Ghost 9 (rebranded Drive Image 7 that can work with .gho files) doesn't seem to go any faster than PQIDeploy and it requires 256mb of RAM to boot up so you can restore.

3. Symantec is basically replacing their consumer version of Ghost 2003 with Ghost 9 (rebranded Drive Image 7 that can work with .gho files). But I think they still include Ghost 2003 in the package?

I'd stick with PQIDeploy (DOS version) for disk to disk and PQIDeploy (Win32 version) for network to disk. Hell, I think they even have a Linux version on the DeployCenter Library disc don't they?

Cheers

Did you try the -PRI or the -OVI parameters ?

They might change a lot the use of PQIDeploy especially on a disk-to-disk imaging or restore process.

Regarding Ghost Solution Suite, it is a suite (sounds logic) of Ghost 8.2 Corporate Edition and Symantec Client Migration 3.0 PLUS DeployCenter 5.6 and Deploy Toolkit 2.6. So you, former PowerQuest users, can still use your PQI files.

On the retail side, Ghost 9.0 does include Ghost 2003 for Win9x/NT users.

NB: You can even use the Ghost Console to deploy your PQI images.