resources stolen by "tcpsvcs.exe"

ardi

My computer became agonizingly slow (an Athlon 2100 with 512mb RAM, Windows XP Pro with SP2). In Task Manager it shows the cpu running at 100% and something called "tcpsvcs.exe" accounts for almost all of it. I presume it is some TCP utility. If I shut off the process everything seems fine, but if I reboot it starts all over again.

Disabling the network doesn't help. Checking for pests and adware didn't help. I reran the network setup wizard. The Help files don't mention it. I'm out of ideas.

Anyone know what dumb thing I did and how to fix this?

That program usualy only runs when you start your system. Its related to receving DHCP responces from a DHCP server. I think it also has something to do with some other optional things in windows that you would have to manualy install but ide say you most likley have a virus or something on your system thats named the same thing as alot of hackers do this to hide there work from the casual user. The next time you see it running check to see if its running as the SYSTEM user or as your username. If its running under your username its a virus and you can probly find it in msconfig.exe under the startup tab the real program only runs under SYSTEM.

I did a search for that program and it only exists in the Windows/System32 directory. Also ran a virus check on the C drive. Negative.

If I turn off the process in the task manager, then run tcpsvcs.exe from the directory it runs for 10 seconds and shuts down. That sounds right. If I reboot it runs continuously and uses 99% of the CPU. The user is SYSTEM. Looking in msconfig, it is not in the startup tab.

Those were helpful suggestions Flashcore, and I don't know anyone who has even heard of this program, but I'm still stumped.

• 2 months later...

I have had that same problem, what fixed mine was going to "network connections" and right click your "Local Area Connection" and select "Properties" make sure you have the "General" tab selected.then scroll down until you find "Microsoft TCP/IP version 6" select it and click "Uninstall".

Restart your computer and it should now be as fast as its supposed to be :)