Longhorn Unattended ?

Incroyable HULK

Hum... I just got my hand on LongHorn Alpha 4074 (crap! I just been informed that we are a member of MSDN and we had it in stock!)

I did a research inside MSFN and on Google but I don't get revelant stuff to my simple question:

LONGHORN + UNATTENDED

Have you guys started to work on yours?

Ha ha...

Longhorn is problematic alright. Don't at all expect it to work properly.

And yes, I've started to work on mine.

All info right on the CD. Check out the XML on the disk - that's the answer file now. They are moving to a totally different paradigm with longhorn. In addition to the above, you can also take what's on the disk after first phase of setup (which is WinPE mode, basically). And whatever you do, don't down-grade longhorn. :P

I've seen some people converting longhorn to use a text-mode setup or to run it after booting from DOS.... don't do such a thing because ultimately that's useless.

If what you're doing, is to prepare for longhorn's release and roll-outs - then use it with the new methods (XML). And if you're just trying to have some fun with longhorn, even then its nice to use the new uA features introduced with longhorn.

Take a look at the info on the CD, and if you have anymore things to know, I'm here. :)

Ok, now I got my first hand experience with LongHorn as I installed into VMware.

Speaking of the Installation Media, I'm pretty please with the new folder structure.

FOLDERS:

BOOT - wich contain setupldr.bin and bootfix.bin and fs_ext.sys (?) - that's all

DOCS - one of the first folder to delete! :lol: contains a sample unattended.xml + 2 .htm information files - that's all

SOURCE - contains 54 files, the biggest one is install.win (692Mo)

SUPPORT - similar to Windows XP cd... with deploy.cab and others (to be deleted too)

VALUEADD - second folder to delete! :P

FILES AT ROOT:

autorun.inf

readme.htm

setup.exe

win51

win51ip

winbom.ini - Oh! new stuff from WinPE

So I like this new disposition. Really clean!

I have created a unattended.txt file with the tool provided in deploy.cab but I was Expecting XML!!! It created a "regular" answer file not something similar to the example provided in the DOCS folder.

Anyone got more info about the winbom.ini, unattended (XML or regular) and where we should put those files along with the $OEM$ folder (if exist in LongHorn)

I'm not having time currently, for looking in more detail... But on the surface I can tell this:

Why didn't you customise and use the included sample XML!

Much of longhorn is still un-crusted - it has newly introduced items as well as has compatibility (to an extent) with XP and its tools. Which explains why you got disappointed with the old-style answer-file the tool gave.

• 1 month later...

Hello all...

does the old unattended of XP work with Longhorn ???

if no .... anyone test unattended xml ..???

i install Longhorn 4074 with all components but i remove someones...

i contact nLite author for Longorn compatibility in nLite 1.0...

:blushing: Sorry for my english!!!!!

MEstk

First, once longhorn reaches final release (or release candidates atleast) - that's prolly the point at which its worth making nLite support it. Right now its all still alpha, and ANYTHING you do is next to useless for it.

longhorn's unattend is still a kludgy thing - uses a combination of the old-style SIF and new XML.

Experiment for yourself and see - that's where all the fun is!

Blam-O!,  it will be very surprising if it works that way.

Have you looked in at all, to see the setup functions? (no offense meant)

No offense taken, thats why I asked. :P

Yes I have looked at the Dir & files - was hoping It would work anyway :whistle:

Well I do know that you can Add Longhorn to a Windows XP Pro SlipStreamed with SP2 & Longhorn. So really Longhorn is just a SP3:) :D Since at the moment Longhorn is just XP with XML...

But it is just fun to Install Longhorn and then Tweal the Hell out of it!!! It's like going behind Microsoft's Back B)